The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Recomended oil pressure at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribal_RS_96

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Hopefully Friday I will be able to finish up my newer 420a motor swap and start it, can anybody tell me what the oil pressure at idle is?

2.0L DOHC 420A
Bore-3.445"
Stroke-3.267"
Displacement-121.8ci
Cylinder compression pressure- 170-225 psi
Max. Cylinder compression difference- 25%
Min. Intake manifold vacuum- 18 hg
Intake valve timing:
**Opens 1.3 degrees BTDC
**Closes 39.7 degrees ABDC
Exhaust valve timing:
**Opens 36 degrees BBDC
**Closes 1.1 degrees ATDC
Base idle oil pressure 4psi @ 800rpm

Stock spark plug and gap- Champion RC9YC5 @ .048"-.053"
Thermostat setting temp-195 degrees F

***Remember that is on a hot engine.;) Upon initial startup, at idle, on a cold engine, it should be higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said holy shit out loud..... 8psi????? No thank you! I would want double that.

The dummy light comes on at zero I believe. There's literally a plastic cylinder on the softest spring imaginable that makes up the oil pressure switch. I've always been told if you're seeing an oil pressure light you're probably already ####ed.

For what its worth, when I had mine running with a Melling/Melling High Volume I always had around 80psi at a dead cold soak and once it warmed up it dropped down to 10-15psi...

5-8 psi?:ohdamn:Mine is 80psi at cold start.Once warmed up, about 15-20 psi.warmed up,driving around 3000rpm she's about 50 psi.Gauge is hardlined into extra hole on filter adapter plate.Dummy light is still hooked up incase of emergency(wake my ass up)

5-8 psi?:ohdamn:Mine is 80psi at cold start.Once warmed up, about 15-20 psi.warmed up,driving around 3000rpm she's about 50 psi.Gauge is hardlined into extra hole on filter adapter plate.Dummy light is still hooked up incase of emergency(wake my ass up)

Interesting.

Stock bottom end? Miles? Oil? What kind of psi at redline?

For what its worth, when I had mine running with a Melling/Melling High Volume I always had around 80psi at a dead cold soak and once it warmed up it dropped down to 10-15psi...

Same here. Built bottom end at 10,000mi., Melling oil pump, 10W-30 oil. I wouldn't be worried unless the pressure were 1-4psi at idle (warm).

Interesting.

Stock bottom end? Miles? Oil? What kind of psi at redline?

Motor 1: wiseco 8.8:1/Eagle H beams/Melling Oil pump/OEM cut crank.
Motor 2: CP 10.5:1/Eagle H beams/Melling High Volume/OEM crank.

Fresh rebuilds on both.
Non detergent oil for intial start, then Valvoline Dino 10-30, the Motul/Mobile 1 5-30.
I don't remember oil pressure at redline to be honest.

Ah, I see. Somehow I suspected that it wasn't a stock bottom end with miles LOL.

Thats some really good info, i was stumped at the alldata so just to make sure, I asked here. Im setting up the T fitting adapter so I have my aftermarket gauge as well and the OP switch, looking forward to getting some safe oil pressure readings considering how smooth everything has gone so far.

Ah, I see. Somehow I suspected that it wasn't a stock bottom end with miles LOL.
My whole motor is stock(86.000miles),accept for the turbo kit.Every time I change the oil I use seafoam to clean out the motor real good.That stuff must work becuase my oil never gets brown.BTW I try to stay away from redline with the boost.I try to stay under 6000:thumb:

Ok I finally started my motor this week and wired a prosport gauge. At a cold start it reads 80psi and drops down while it warms up. Lowest today was 10psi, does that check out ok?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back