The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine Break In, breaking-in, motor break-in [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeTurbo

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 4, 2002
As the following thread will illustrate, motor break-in is not the issue it was in the fifties and sixties.
For all intents and purposes, your method will not significantly matter, within reason.

Well, I am getting the laser back from the shop this weekend. Here's a List of whats new, and whats not.New Pistons, Bearings, Rods, Crankshaft, Rings, Oil pump, Belts, Pullys, Head, Valves, No balancer belt. The only real thing thats old, but freshened up is the block, and valve cover, and the FI system. (Fuel Injection)

I am going to run Mobil 1 10w-30 with a Puroilator PL101xx Filter. I have a new clutch with a resurfaced flywheel going on. I've also got new fluids in the transmission.

My question is how should I break it in? This is my first non 70's Chevy, and I was wondering if there are any tricks to it.

The way I was going to do it, was 15 min of idle, warm up. Make sure all fluids/hoses/electrical is plugged in. Then about 1 hour of normal driving. Might take out to the Highway, and cruise around 65-70 for a little bit.

This sound good? I was not going to get on it, or push it till ive got about 500 miles on the engine. Even then, I'll still be taking it easy. Anyone have any tips or help? Thanks

afreind of mine called ACT about the break in of his ACT clutch.. the tch told him to put it in fifth gear rev it and slip out the clutch a couple of times!!!! not what I have always been told but thats what ACT said and his clutch grabs like a beast now.

Break the motor in slow and low boost it will last longer but wont like the boost you'll wanna throw at it
Break it in hard with a significant amt. of boost and it will like the boost but not last as long.

Thats my .02$

Hey guys, I've got a question about break in for my new engine.

I'm not sure how much boost I should run while breaking the engine in. For right now I've ran about 50 miles or so and I'm running pretty much no boost. I thought this might be best since breaking in the engine is mostly to seat the rings, so maybe boost would be bad?

I'm not sure if I'm right, but could running no boost to break in my engine have any ill effects?

Thanks for any help.

i would imagine running stock boost wouldnt hurt anything... just my .02

I dont know i got 550 miles on my engine has no issues. Run's perfect """ Drag Engine builder told me to drive it normaly after 300 miles every once and a while bring revs up to about 6 grand. But dont to it alot do it once then run normaly. Wesco pistons break in easy. higway driving is fine. just make sure you change your oil. ((( Ps i dont know about the information on here any more i was told once on here that a low compression motor will drive like a tree attatched )))) My rs with low compression 2.1 drives perfect with wesco pistons and eagle rods and aftermarket stuff. Bottom to top replaced.

Definately no continous rpm driving. Vary the rpm's all over the tach and work through all the gears.

I usually do 15 full pulls(10psi) and full vacuum decelarations and call it a day. Then drive normally trying not to stay any one rpm or gear for to long.

Ciro

Im not asking method of break-in, I know its been beat to death already.

Ive heard no boost for 2000 miles, no boost for 500, then switch to stock boost til 2000k, and Ive heard just run stock boost right from start-up.

WTF!?!?!

Stock boost is what I have been told. You dont want to go no boost cause you will be running boost eventually so its good to start somewhere. just my .02 cents

During your break in period you shouldn't be running any boost. Who ever rebuilt your engine is who you should really ask but in case you were that person thats the solution. No boost for 500 miles no revving past 4k. Remember better to be safe than sorry. No ill treating your motor during the break in period will lenghten the engines life. 2k miles is just ridiculous for no boost :( i would just die of boost withdrawal man. Good luck hope i helped as i am just completing my 6 bolt swap and have been researching this for a while now.

No boost for 100 miles. Then low boost till 500 miles and moderate/stock till 1000 is what JAM and Brad Brooks from Brookstuned.com told me after my rebuild. And after 1000 miles boost away.

yeah theres many different ways people do it, not running any boost would seem to be the safest and most reliable way to do it, but ive heard people beating on the motor as soon as they build them to make everything seat right...well you figure when you car was brand new with 0 miles boost and everything was set at stock... whatever your planning on running thats what i would break the motor in on...

Thanks guys, I knew this would be a tough question with many answers. I built the engine myself, and I was thinking from the factory they come 0 miles on 10psi. Im gonna go a couple hundred or so without any boost, and then slowly turn it up.

I would do 500-600 miles no boost, then run stock boost to 2000 miles.

Change the oil at 600 miles on a new engine, I was told that's the most important oil change your car will ever have. I would also run strictly Royal Purple or Mobil1.

good luck with the new motor:thumb:

:talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back