The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Rebuilding the 4G63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Concepts

Proven Member
Aug 20, 2022
Indiana
If I were to buy a cheaper example of a GSX with higher miles on the clock (150-200k a fair range?), and I intend on building the car with a bigger turbo and supporting bolt-ons (350-400 crank), should I rebuild the engine or 6-bolt swap it for reliability?

If so, should I do a basic rebuild? Oil pump, rings, etc.
Or should I replace everything?
Should I get it machined no matter what?

If not, what amount of power should warrant a rebuild with that many miles to ensure reliability? 400-450?

Thanks.

Say with just the turbo and bigger injectors an with proper support to thous mods and a good tune could get that pretty sure. Just to be safe might as well do the exhaust as well. I read most ppl go for the 6 bolt cuz stronger and less likely to crank walk. But if u build it right should be fine. I'm build a 7 bolt just redoing everything

If I understand you are looking to double the HP on an engine that is 200K miles old. It would take it, but likely not for long. @dwb has the right of it -- buy the car first and see what you've got to work with. To get 400+ hp you're going to need quite a bit of upgrades - fuel delivery, engine management, turbo upgrade and all associated bits, etc. The stock bottom end will handle it if it's in good condition, but with the age and mileage I'd rebuild it. Always machine the block and heads on a rebuild... especially if you are looking to increase power.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back