The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBM4G63

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
IllinoisUS
What would I need to rebuild my engine? How much would it cost verus buying a JDM? If you guys could help me. I love my car but i want to be able to drive it. I have only driven it one day before the engine blew. If anyone has any tips or lives in iowa to help me email me. I think that I might have to take out a loan to fix the car. $4,000.00 should do the trick.

Ask Larry D he is in the process of doing a 6 bolt rebuild. It costs around 1k to get a nicely built balanced 91 rod 95 piston motor built. I can not stress to you how much better that would be then buying a beat up JDM engine.

try machv.com for a good rebuild kit, i would only run JE pistons.

How much did you pay for the car? Just wondering so that I know how much money is enough for a reliable car.

whoa whoa whoa guys nobody asked the most important question.

What happened to your old engine? Is the block, crank, head usable? you may only have some destroyed valves and be able to get away with a head job for less than a rebuild.

rdrkt did you build it yourself or have it built for you. i assume you paid a machinest for the bore.

Lastly don't use stock fasteners inside (bolts, nuts etc)...They are the weak link. I believe arp makes the stuff you will want.

If you do all the work yourself and use your existing block, it isn't too bad. When I did mine last year, it cost me $3700 ($1200 for machinist). I did the labor. That includes: 95 pistons on my rods, replaced every part you could think of that dealt with the engine (seals, t belt, access belts, bearings, bolts, ect), got the head redone with new valve seals and a slight port, new bearings and seals in the tranny, big brake upgrade, ACT 2600, S-AFC, balance shaft removal, ARP hardware (head, rod, crank bolts), 550cc injectors, fuel pump... I think that is it. A complete rebuild and then some. I think for you to do a basic rebuild, minus all thoase performance parts I got, you'd be looking at no more than $2000, as long as you did the labor.

I sold it. It was not work the hasle. The block was cracked and most of the valves were shot. Also the turbo was blown. It is all good. I just bought another 1g. That is in perfect running order.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back