The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

rebuild or replace trans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesarlcase

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2009
lynbrook, New_York
if your transmission is slipping, will simply changing the clutch pack with a ipt kit along with a increase line pressure do the job? or do you have to overhaul it? when is it actually necessary to overhaul a trans also?

no one knows?

Well, I guess I'll give it my best attempt. ;)

For starters, one needs to know for certain if it's slipping for sure and then of course what is the cause. Sometimes it's not even a mechanical issue.

If it is determined that the clutch packs are slipping, then why are they slipping. Poor performing pump, bad seal causing pressure to leak by, or maybe a sticking valve, servo, or actuator.

THING IS, I could go all day with the scenario I started. Would you rather listen to me for the next few hours or just realize that there truly are so many possibilities that most transmission shops will not look for the "smoking gun". They just rebuild them because if there are any clutch packs slipping it is likely others are not far from giving you headaches.

Soooooo......it's like rebuilding your engine, your not going to change just the rod bearing that's knocking are you. No, your gonna rebuild the whole thing.

It's the same but different....:cool:

Hope this answers the question posted :coy:

HA couldnt have said it better.. why fix the known problem without fixing the cause?? tear it apart.. check pistons seals.. pump seals..solenoids.. etc... only thing you can do

Well, I guess I'll give it my best attempt. ;)

For starters, one needs to know for certain if it's slipping for sure and then of course what is the cause. Sometimes it's not even a mechanical issue.

If it is determined that the clutch packs are slipping, then why are they slipping. Poor performing pump, bad seal causing pressure to leak by, or maybe a sticking valve, servo, or actuator.

THING IS, I could go all day with the scenario I started. Would you rather listen to me for the next few hours or just realize that there truly are so many possibilities that most transmission shops will not look for the "smoking gun". They just rebuild them because if there are any clutch packs slipping it is likely others are not far from giving you headaches.

Soooooo......it's like rebuilding your engine, your not going to change just the rod bearing that's knocking are you. No, your gonna rebuild the whole thing.

It's the same but different....:cool:

Hope this answers the question posted :coy:

great info... what if it started slipping due to increase in boost psi? upgrading the clutch n line pressure would fix that issue without a rebuild correct?

Well, yes and no. I'm sorry I can't give you a definitive answer. It depends on certain variables like the condition of the clutches and line pressure you have. In theory, you would be correct if the power being put to the clutch pack were simply past their ability to maintain enough friction with the line pressure available. But I would really need alot more info to tell you if you would be wasting your time or curing your problem. You could end up breaking other parts just by over pressurizing your line.

I currently have no information on how much the clutch pack your working with can hold at what line pressure. I have to assume we're talking about a dsm trans and I'm completely in the dark as to what they are capable of.

I would say if were mine, I knew it to be in good working condition before an increase in power, and it was not my DD. I would do it. But you must understand, I do this stuff for fun and it in general terms it keeps me out of trouble. Please don't do just a clutch pack swap and line change without knowing it may not hold up. I would also hope you have all the tools and have a service manual to do it or have done this before. I will guarantee you will be looking for another trans if you don't.

In any case I wish you the best of luck and would be very interested in the results.

yup. 100% with 95 eclipse guy.

Just to add to his logic, we have electronically controlled transmissions. So make sure it's something mechanical before thinking about pulling the trans... not an electrical fault.

Does the thing act strange if your being nice on it? Or just under load? Do your best to figure out what part is acting up first.

Also (not to scare you ehh) but internal trans work requires special tools, not just a sears 101 piece set. So prepare to spend a few $$$ on tools alone to rebuild the thing yourself if that's your plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back