The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Rebuild myself or send it out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5150DSM

Supporting VIP
Jan 5, 2004
Sacramento, California
Ok, trans needs a rebuild, it's got 140k on it and my HP/torque levels are going to skyrocket here shortly. I know that IPT builds trannies for a reasonable price and there are a couple of others... That being said, why not build it myself? I don't have much auto trans rebuilding experience but I'm fairly sharp, have the ATSG manual and I'm broke... so I have motivation.

I've rebuilt a couple of 4T60E's, they came out perfect and are still on the road today, but that was in a school lab with all the proper tools and instructor help available if I needed it. I'm sure I could have done it in more adverse conditions but... I didn't.

Are the W4A33's so much more complicated? Is the lack of "MDXXXX" going to be a make or break thing or can tools be adapted to this application? And finally, are there any tips, write-ups, guides, etc... That I can refer to during the process?

$1500 vs $3000 is a major point for me but if I have to I can send it out.

Thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't do business with IPT if my life depended on it. Nor would I do a full rebuild myself. Look into metro trans. Same guys that build English racings transmissions. Just food for thought.

Auto transmission are really easy to rebuild and F* up. If you forget a seal or damage one during assembly you will be wasting money and time. ATDSM.com has some good information to help you get through the rebuild process..

ATDSM... Forgot all about them, thank you very much.

@dsmornothing. No IPT? I'm curious as to why? They seem to know their shit.
I do thank you for the reference to metro trans, opens up another option.

I have done business with IPT before and I am not impressed with their customer service. They have always been rude and not very helpful.

I haven't been able to find any info on Metro Trans, except the name.
Other than the IPT rebuild kits are there any other kits that you guys recommend?

The more I dig around the more I think full rebuild may not necessarily be the required option. Considering that I already did the end-clutches with the IPT kit... I'm thinking Kiggly front clutch pack upgrade along with the Kiggly flexplate, welded center dif and IPT valve body/shift kit would address my needs. Overall, it would be well within my budget and capabilities, wouldn't require any special tools and wouldn't require me to ship out my trans.

I just wonder if by not replacing the rest of the soft parts, such as seals, etc.. if I'm going to cost myself down the road? Any thoughts on a trimmed down rebuild and the potential reliability. For info, I'm going to be running a HX35 on E85, and related supporting mods.

Well look at it this way. It you don't replace the seals you're risking a blow out. They have however many miles on them at stock line pressure. Once you crank the pressure to upwards of 200psi you could have a very serious issue. The transmissions reliability is ALL in the valve body work. Jeff bush has metro do all of his trans work. I would give them a call.

darn, wrote a huge reply and realized upin closer reading that you're talking about an auto, sop in simple terms, with the auto experience you have, go for it.

experience onlysharpens the mind, thickens the wallet when it's perfected (thins it on the learning curve LOL) and raises your total worth in the sense of being pad for the skills you have. and since you have auto trans building teachings in your past you'll probably do better than a lot of us on our first tries that came out fine. (i did my own high HP manual this year on a hobo's budget and that was the reason i did it myself) and with this forum's searc h function, and TMZ performance i've gota used parts collection turned into a trans with new bearings and synchros that's holding 500hp levels daily just fine :D and i did it for less than the cheapest "rebuild trans" i can buy from the main "shops" even if i were to get free gas and pick it up from the clsoest one in colorado to avid shpiping costs.

i think you sound like you like the challenge, want the knowledge and xperience and have a good foundation on which to start, so i say DO IT!!!!!!

you have rebuilt in lab? may i ask where? sacramento....... UTI or wyotech? i think u can do it. i have an auot that i will be rubuilding myself sometime next year. they seem much easier than the damn pt transmissions we did at uti. go for it man

i say do the trimmed down rebuild like you want to do. it is simple and very effective for your needs. i ran about 500 hp through a stock auto trans for over a year with just a road surge shift box on my 1g hx40 car. i dident even upgrade the end clutches. these transmissions can take alot. all i did was check fluid levals and condition on a regular basis . ps im a transmission builder for certified transmission i know a few things LOL.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and do the full rebuild. I'm not saving much money or any peace of mind doing it the other way. And shit, with this site's info base and level of support I'm sure I can find anything I need along the way.

I started a build thread for this stage of the project (it's pretty sparse so far) so I'm going to try and document the trans rebuild and add it to the thread. If I do it right maybe it will help some of the other guys tackle the job.

Check it out here if you want, updates coming soon.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/450595-high-hp-street-strip-91-eclipse-gsx.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back