The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

rebuild & engine to trans mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buryurfear14

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2009
hernando, Florida
Hey everyone.

A little back story. I've had my 92 gsx since august of '09. Long story short the car was having an overheating problem after I bought it and the trans that was said to be rebuilt recently with a new clutch was grinding a tad every now and then and became increasingly hard to downshift from 4th to 3rd as the car got hot (before it started overheating like crazy.) I went to back out the spark plugs once I got it home and one plug broke dropping all the little pieces into the cylinder. After much down time the engine and trans are out and the parts are flowing it to get this beast on the road. But I'm trying to keep at as cheap as I can without sacrificing quality. I'd rather it sit for a few months more than break 5k down the road.

I'm having a hard time getting the trans to come off. I think maybe I'm missing a bolt somewhere around the tcase so I'm taking that off tonight. I took the top two bolts out, the bolt on the right side of the bell housing, and the casting on the block for the engine to trans bolt is broken. Which leads me to my first question, is there any other way to fix this casting other than welding something in its place (that will more than likely fail)?

Next question. I've never rebuilt a trans before. I have rebuilt an engine. I would like to have my gear clusters rebuilt by Jacks Transmissions and do the rebuild myself to save some money and gain some skill. I have a few buddies that are better mechanics than I am to help with the trans rebuild even though they've never done one either (two heads are better than one). Besides being a little intimidating, it doesn't sound very difficult. What do you guys who have rebuilt transmissions think about going just going for it? I'd like the experience but I wouldn't like a screwed trans!

I really have no doubt that Jacks does a great job with these gear clusters, but does anyone have an experience with purchasing and installing? I'd love to hear some feedback.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok depends on bad its damaged and where, mines was fixed on the housing and there is one bolt in the near the axle, did you get a manual for your car.

My buddy has the factory service manual. I'll take a picture of the casting tonight and put it up. I'm not TOO worried about it because i'm not going to be revving to 5k and dropping the clutch. But I'd feel more comfortable if it were fixed.

Im sure you got the tranny mount disconnected....If you got the transfer case dropped.....Just feel around the bell housing for a bolt head....You shouldn't have any trouble finding them....To fix the broken part on the tranny you will just have to have a new piece welded on. You'll be fine If your only missing one.

Forgot about this thread! I removed the transfer case and the trans pulled right off. odd.

pic's of that engine to trans mount that broke.

Attachments

• 100_0301.jpg
    100_0301.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_0300.jpg
    100_0300.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 59
That broken ear can be re-welded back on very easily ...i think the procedure with cast iron is to pre heat for good penetration ...i would re-install the trans to engine with the broken off piece bolted to tranny then tack in place with good solid tacks all around the piece to be welded ...remove the tranny then weld after pre-heating the area ...if u need more info on cast iron welding let me know and ill look in my welding books :D

Now if only I had the broken piece! Unfortunately this is how I got the car so I would need to grind that down, find a junk block, Cut the casting off, and weld. Now to find a junk yard that will let me do that.....

edit: A friend of mine is a welder and like any welder (or gearhead, really) he likes to fab stuff. So i'll probably let him have fun with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back