The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rebuild 7 bolt or build a 6 bolt?? 400 HP Goal need help deciding best option

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninja07

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2009
antioch, Tennessee
I have a 95 tsi awd. My engine is fine right now but I am going to build an engine that will handle 400 horsepower set and tuned. I will not be turning boost up and down, once I have it tuned to 400hp, that will be the end of it.
My question is do I need to just do the 6 bolt swap,[headache] or can I change the crank with a 99' 2 piece and lose the oil squirters.
Forgive me, I am new to all this, just bought in December. I just want it to be dependable, and safely built. Any suggestions would be helpful, Thanks. Ninja:ninja:

Hey man,

The 6 Bolt Swap isn't too horrible as long as you have the tools. If it were me, I'd do it. Simple as that. I did a 1.8 - 2.0 swap, so if I can survive that, you can survive the 6 bolt swap. And I did it starting out not knowing how a piston even worked.

However, the 7 bolts are also very reliable. They are just 'more prone to crank-walk'. So it's speculated. For 400HP, which is a very nice goal and what I'll be shooting for, the 7 Bolt can hold up reliably. Just BUILD IT RIGHT.

Whatever seems better to you, make the choice yourself. However, 90% of everyone here will say " Do the 6 Bolt Swap"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back