The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

rear tires chirp in hard turns

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan95tsiAWD

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 22, 2002
Goose Creek, South_Carolina
Ok so i just replace the intermediate shaft bearing on my car b/c the old one blew up...(long story...shoulda checked the shaft bolts a LONG time ago)

anyway, when i turn sharp (90*) the rear tire on the inside of the turn chirps and the car seems to slow down(like im dragging something)....i have 2 ideas of what it "might" be...

is the new bearing too tight?(not making any noises if it is)

did i screw up the center dif when i was putting the VC back on?

any help or ideas would be great.

i hate to be there one to tell you. I am 90% sure it is your center diff man.

A quick search would reveal a million posts on this topic.
When the inside rear tire chirps or hops on slow, tight turns it is an indication of a failing, or locked up center differential. Or you have a welded center differential.
i just replace the intermediate shaft bearing
Do you mean the center bearing for the front axle? If so, that goes to the front differential. Why did you have the VC out? It is simple to install the VC so I doubt you screwed anything up there. Failing center diffs are very common with DSM's.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

i had to replace the bearings in the center shaft of the tranny...i have always heard it called the intermediate shaft. The VC has to come out to get to the bearing races that are in the plate between the VC and the center dif

i just talked to a local guru...he said chances are that it is the (most likely) center dif or it could be the VC...so i will start here and see where it goes...

I know i could have done a search for this but it was unlikely that i would find an exact case senario. IE i just finished putting a new bearing on only one of the shafts....

Originally posted by Ryan95tsiAWD
i had to replace the bearings in the center shaft of the tranny...i have always heard it called the intermediate shaft. The VC has to come out to get to the bearing races that are in the plate between the VC and the center dif

i just talked to a local guru...he said chances are that it is the (most likely) center dif or it could be the VC...so i will start here and see where it goes...

I know i could have done a search for this but it was unlikely that i would find an exact case senario. IE i just finished putting a new bearing on only one of the shafts....

If your intermediate shaft has ANY thrust play in it, it will cause the effects you are getting.

Been there, done that. :(

I wouldn't drive it till it dies, because when it does, chances are it will take out a few other things as well. Unless you're rich, then by all means beat the crap out of it :p

Originally posted by leet
If your intermediate shaft has ANY thrust play in it, it will cause the effects you are getting.

Been there, done that. :(

I wouldn't drive it till it dies, because when it does, chances are it will take out a few other things as well. Unless you're rich, then by all means beat the crap out of it :p

by thrust play you mean that possibly when i put the tranny all back together i may not have put the intermediate shaft bearing on all the way and after i tightened down the outside 36mm nut it came loose(the bearing got fully seated causing the nut to go loose) when i drove the car?!?
ok...so define thrust play...bear with me this is the first time ive messed with the inside of a tranny ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back