The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rear Suspension noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnie

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2012
San Diego, California
Hey Everybody I have a question.

This is how I bought the car. Before I changed the struts it made that noise and after I changed the struts it still makes that noise. I was sure after the struts were changed it would of stopped making that noise, but nope unfortunately still makes that noise.

What do you think it may be? :aha:

My rear suspension has been making noises when I drive turn corners, break, accelerate.

I just changed the rear struts.

How do I know if it is an axle or ball joints or etc?

Thanks for reading and helping!

Could you possibly take a video of it? Something is making a really wonky sound in the rear of my laser, that just started after I had some people ride in the back seats for the first time. I'm curious as to whether we have the same problem, I can't seem to figure it out on my own.
Does yours sound worse at low speeds than at highway speed?

I'll see if I can take a video. It doesn't make noise when I drive on the freeway, just on the street, at turns, when I hit the breaks/slow down,and possibly when I hit bumps.

If I don't find out, I will possibly take it to a suspension shop and see what is wrong or loose.

I also took out the spare tire, wooden cover and everything out of the trunk area to see where the noise was coming from. I am pretty sure something is wrong around the rear suspension area.

Like I hear it from the area around the rear tires. Just can't call what it is.

Is it a sort of creaking noise? If it is, then it's most likely the bushings right above the rear tire. I'm having a blank and can't think of what the arm is called... :facepalm:

Edit- okay I think I was thinking of the Upper Control Arm Bushings. They can be replaced by following these steps http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222152

I'll actually be doing this pretty soon...

If your car has a rear sway-bar, look at it first. After that, it's usually a torn/blown bushing. So you put the car on stands and start yanking.

Yes, check the bushings back there on the control arm/spindle assembly and the sway bar. Both, like stated above can cause noise. Actually, when I had the upper bushings on my white '95 go bad, the car's rear end would actually wiggle some (like a RWD car loosing traction) when taking turns. Thought I was going crazy... haha!

If your car has a rear sway-bar, look at it first. After that, it's usually a torn/blown bushing. So you put the car on stands and start yanking.

No I do not have a sway bar, but after I put them on stands, how can I tell if they're bad? Sorry if I sound noobish :S .

Is it a sort of creaking noise? If it is, then it's most likely the bushings right above the rear tire. I'm having a blank and can't think of what the arm is called... :facepalm:

Edit- okay I think I was thinking of the Upper Control Arm Bushings. They can be replaced by following these steps How do I replace my rear upper control arm bushings for both sides? - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

I'll actually be doing this pretty soon...

Thanks bro, I will look into it right now! :hellyeah:

Yes, check the bushings back there on the control arm/spindle assembly and the sway bar. Both, like stated above can cause noise. Actually, when I had the upper bushings on my white '95 go bad, the car's rear end would actually wiggle some (like a RWD car loosing traction) when taking turns. Thought I was going crazy... haha!

Thank goodness mine is FWD :p hahaha,:tease: I will get on this for sure today, don't want anything bad happening to my baby!

Thank you! ;)

Last edited:
Upper pillow ball mounts on the struts. I always recommend changing mounts when doing struts.

Ok I looked at the bushing on the control arm. Yeah that's the issue. I looked at it and had a friend put his ear next to it as I put pressure on the car. Squeak came from that area.

Gonna order the part, then take it to get fixed / replaced.

Do I just need to replace that bushing or is there other components that need to get replaced?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...yWord=control+arm+bushings+&fromString=search

Couldn't find it on JNZTUNING, the rear suspension didn't want to open up...

Can someone give me a part #? or let me know what I should be ordering before I start spending? Thank you in advance!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...a=X&ei=J31jUL6iBaqw2gWfnIGQBA&ved=0CEsQuw0oAQ

I found these online and they're cheaper then auto shops. So yeah looking around waiting for an answer...

Last edited:
Had this happen on mine. A short term alternative if the bushings are just dry is some white lithium grease

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back