The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G rear outer CV axle joints and rear hub assemblies

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbs

Probationary Member
Jun 11, 2002
NY
Im in the process now of changing rear hub assemblies($170.00 ea.) on my 95 tsi awd due to bad bearing upon inspection while doing a 4 corner Powerslot rotor upgrade, Im having a ***** of time seperating the hub from the splined shaft on the outer CV axle in the rear. I have ruined the threads of the axle on one side and Im waiting on new pair of rear outer CV axle shafts and nuts from dealership ($174.28 ea). as well as new front hub assemblies($97.48 ea.)

Does anyone know how to seperate outer cv axle joint from the driveshaft at the outer CV boot?

also can you reinstall the axle and hub and rotor without the backing plates which have the pebble/dust rotor shields spot welded to them?

I cant seperate any of the components because the rust weld is so bad, I dont even know what Im going to do about all the ebrake hardware that i cant get off. I wouldnt recommed trying this install if the vehicle has been through winters and salt. I have now around $1300 in just parts and ~$100 on shipping invested to a project I thought was a powerslot rotor upgrade. Any idead/help would be great, last of parts to arrive today for more fun.

any bits of info from anyone who has installed wheel bearings/hub assemblies, rotors, outer CV axle joints (half shaft?) would be helpful before I try to tackle this again tomorrow would be helpful.

I really want to know if I need to include the backingplate of the assembly, when going to a big rotor setup what is done? the rotor pebble shield is cut or the entire backing plate to which it is spotwelded is tossed?

nobody has ever run into this problem replacing wheel bearings/hub assemblies?

I have the same problem in my driver rear wheel, the axle is rust welded with the hub assembly and my mechanic couldnt do a thing about it, he heat it up and nothin so if anyone knows a way give us some input thank you

You basically have to buy a new axle and hub assembly. Check out rockauto.com for the hub assembly, it's much cheaper than the stealership. I have a Timken one and it's working fine. As for the axle, you'll also have to replace that. Either search a junkyard or search around for the best price on those. You can often find axles in the classifieds from part outs. You might be able to get the wheel bearing from one too if you're skimping on the $$$, but I'd rather just put a new wheel bearing in for peace of mind.

well i know i have to buy a new axle and hub assembly but how i take off the hub and the axle fron the knuckle, beacuse the axle its to big to pass in the midle of the knuckle and how i take off the 4 screws in the back ### the axle its in the way. thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back