The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Rear O2 Sensor Spacer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyGST

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Hey Guys,

So I've been planning ahead on what i want to do for my car and when i want to do my exhaust, i'm planning on removing the cat. In my area I have to go through with emissions testing, but where i go all they do is plug her in an if there's no bad readings, they send you out no visuals, no riding the rollers, that's it. So i started looking online and i went to STM and found this guy: STM: "CHECK ENGINE FIX" | REAR O2 SENSOR SPACER

I couldn't find any reviews on it so I thought I would post it and see what you guys thought. I understand that STM is a really good site and i highly doubt they would hurt their name by sellling something faulty, but i just waned some opinions. All it really does is screw into the bung and keeps the O2 sensor spaced from the exhaust a little more. Would this really help keep from throwing a CEL? or could you buy 2 and space it out even more? haha I'm just wondering about this because it's really cheap and very simple. Please no replies bashing this route for I am simply asking whether it would work or not.

Thanks in advance!

You can pick a spark plug defouler up at an autoparts store, just make sure you know the thread of the O2 sensor. The theory behind has a lot of debate back and forth. Just Put one or two on at a time, and let see what happens! You can google the idea/theory and see if it works for you.... I personally have had it and not have it, but my emissions were perfect.....

I currently have this on in my car (two spacers from autozone - they come as a two pack) and I've been CEL clear for months.

Good luck!

I have tried the foil trick on my 97 and it didnt work. Car still threw a CEL. I would reccomend a spark plug defouler as previously stated.

i tried it on my wife's audi a6 and it worked . light would come on for cat efficiency failure . the cats were over a 1,000 dollars . but on my eclipse i never put one and light never comes on for a cat code.

Anyone else have any more input on this? I need to get my car to pass emissions. I have a separate downpipe with a cat that I put on to pass, but even with the cat it would still throw a cel. No matter how many times I tried to clear the code, it would eventually come back. I eventually got it to pass emissions, but Im wondering if the spark plug defouler spacer would get rid of the cel.

Also anyone know the thread size of the rear o2? And any places that have the defouler instock?

Any part store should have them. They'll be in the help section. There is also a way to delete it with resistor and stuff which I'm planning on doing. I'll post a link in a sec.

Yea Ive seen that guide. I plan on getting dsmlink in the future so Ill be able to just disable the rear o2 with that.

Anyone gotten rid of their cel with the spacer?

I haven't tried it on a dsm but it worked for me on a dodge neon, but not on my wife's Taurus. You will have to drill the bottom out of one of the no foulers.( By the way they are called no or non foulers not de foulers at the parts stores here.) Drill out the first one and thread the o2sensor into it and thread the second one onto the first and screw it all into the pipe. It will stick out kinda far so it's a big red flag on visual inspection but if they don't look you're golden. They actually had pits here so a tech could visually inspect the entire exhaust system, for tampering. Good luck with it.even if it don't work you're only out a few bucks.

I am running a full 3" DP-back exhaust (with upgraded o2 housing as well) and have no issues with the CEL and am not running a spacer at all.

Passes emissions with the simulator :) but the p0136 (o2 circuit malfunction) cel that I keep getting came on right after the test. Oh well I passed and thats all I care about, but Ill see if the code comes back.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back