The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rear main seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1991_talon

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2010
Connersville, Indiana
Hello I have a stage 4 clutch and will be replacing my rear main seal this weekend. I was told that because I have a high pressure clutch this problem could occur again. I was wondering if anyone here has had similar problems.

The clutch system has nothing to do with your rear main seal failing. They're completely unrelated aside from being right next to each other.

I think you're confusing the main seal and the thrust bearing. A heavy pressure plate can cause premature wear on the thrust bearing.

Thanks for the clarification, apparantly I was misinformed. So I can anticipate to have problems with my thrust bearing in the future?

If the motor in your 91 tsi is stock, you won't have to worry about thrust bearing failure. That is normally associated with the 7-bolt motors found in 95-99 DSMs.

Yeah its a stock 6 bolt block, it does feel a little jerky from 1st to 2nd all other gears shift perfectly. Should I replace the bearing while I am doing the rear main job?

If the motor in your 91 tsi is stock, you won't have to worry about thrust bearing failure. That is normally associated with the 7-bolt motors found in 95-99 DSMs.
More specifically, the early 7-bolt blocks with the 1-piece thrust bearing.

Should I replace the bearing while I am doing the rear main job?
No, don't worry about it.

The "jerking" has nothing to do with the thrust bearing. More than likely, it's the clutch disc that you're using.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back