The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rear main seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white_dsm

Banned Member
Feb 9, 2008
Plains, Texas
I'm buying a 90 eagle talon tsi awd, all stock and lady driven. Owners bf who is a domestic guy says he had it on the lift and fluid was coming from the rear main seal area.

So I know this is gonna sound newbie, but can I just put some high temp rtv around the area until I get a hoist or the right tools to drop the tranny and do it properly?

What I mean is...

Fluid is coming from the crease between the tranny and engine I'm assuming. Can I rtv around that whole crease to keep the fluid in just to band aid it temporarily until I drop the tranny?

If it the crank/flywheel seal u will need to drop trans maybe pull out the motor to put a new one in make sure it not coming from some where else slave cylinder maybe what color fluid

That sounds like a terrible idea OMG. If the leak is bad enough from the rear main seal and you seal it with RTV, imagine this: filling your bell housing of your transmission slowly with oil. Your clutch would slip like crazy! Either fix the problem or let it leak until you can.

Laysher is correct . Our cars do not really like band aids .

Seals wear and or become brittle over time .

Oh, rear main SEAL! It seals oil out of tranny..right?

so if it's bad is it leaking in the tranny then?

You have to drop tranny, loosen the two bolts to oil pan that are right under rear main seal. then there are bolts holding rear man seal in pop it off. You are going to have to remove the clutch and fly wheel aswell. The rear main seal holds the oil in the engine my friend the crank goes through it and the fly wheel and clutch and l bolt to the crank. Get a manual. Look at pics Dont put silicon it wont work.

No it does not leak into the trans... what kind of fluid is it leaking, motor oil or trans fluid? If motor oil then yes it's likely your rear main and no RTVing the parting line between the motor and trans won't do jack... Live with it or fix it.... if it's a 5spd though you probably won't be living with it too long before it ruins your clutch....

Well I'm assuming it just happened. I have a a/m clutch anyway so I'll throw that in there. But how long do I got riding around before it slips?

Just fix the problem before driving it again. If you ignore problems like this then other problems are going to start. This is why so many people think these cars are unreliable, because they know of a problem and just wait until they can't drive the car any more even if they wanted because that problem has caused other problems or the part completely broke.

^
Well, it's not that I want to wait till the last minute brother. I don't have the exp. or the right tools I think to do the job so I'm waiting till next weekend for my buddies to come over and help.

Quick question, fwd and awd street discs are the same right? And what goes faulty when you have the rear main seal leak? the pressure plate or the disc? or both??

I don't know if they are the same discs or not. Just go on Autozone's site or something and see if the part numbers are the same. The clutch disc will get contaminated and will need to be replaced. I would change the pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork, and pivot ball at the same time though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back