The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rear Main Seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seminoles2005

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2003
sfield, Kentucky
I have my transmission and clutch out right now and i wanted to check and see if the rear main seal on my 90 fwd turbo laser had any problems. What i wanted to know was if the flywheel was removed would the seal break?? May seem like a stupid question but would this ruin the seal or if everything is good i can put the flywheel back on and its all fine? I'm asking this beacause its called a seal and i thought you can break seals.

no sir your good to go.removing the flywheel will not cause the seal to go bad.just look to see if you see any leaks just in case if none put your stuff back together and your good to go. :thumb:

bro,while your tranny is off,you might as well save yourself a headache and change the damm seal.do it right,do it once.Your car is 15 years old and i don't know how old that seal is,but unless you changed it in the last couple of years,your taking a gamble.This is one of those preventive maintanace deals.

i tried un-bolting the flywheel off but it just turns :mad: ......what should i do to keep it from turning, i dont have an impact wrench available so....any ideas?

seminoles2005 said:
i tried un-bolting the flywheel off but it just turns :mad: ......what should i do to keep it from turning, i dont have an impact wrench available so....any ideas?

Wedge a large screwdriver between the teeth of the flywheel and another large object (like the floor) Make sure the screwdriver is prependicular to the ground and not parallell, though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back