The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

REAR lower ball joint... 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Alright I took out my rear differential yesterday. I separated the lower ball joint from the knuckle in order to pull the whole hub away to get the axles out of the diff. I separated the ball joint because I could NOT get the bolt out of the control arm. I got the nut off just fine, but the bolt with not budge. However, I accidentally tore the ball joint boot and all the grease leaked out. Now, since this control arm bolt will not come off, I would hope there is a way to replace the ball joint without removing the arm? is this possible? Thanks

how did it tear? When I separate the ball joints the boots always break. Its normal. I was told just to leave them by my auto mechanics teacher. Thats what I always do. They are fine as long as you dont bend or break the ball joint. Maybe someone else has another opinion otherwise just leave it.

how did it tear? When I separate the ball joints the boots always break. Its normal. I was told just to leave them by my auto mechanics teacher. Thats what I always do. They are fine as long as you dont bend or break the ball joint. Maybe someone else has another opinion otherwise just leave it.

Well, the boots hold the grease in. The grease is in their for a reason, don't you think? It is probably not a good idea to just leave them ripped, is it?

If you didnt separate the balljoint with a ball joint separator Its probably not that bad. IMO its perfectly fine to leave it ripped torn or no boot at all because I take a class that I learn to work on cars in there and I asked the teacher and he said its fine to leave them busted. That car left with the shop with two broken ball joint boots. I would definitely change axle boots if they were torn but ball joints boots are different.

If you didnt separate the balljoint with a ball joint separator Its probably not that bad.

I didn't use a ball joint separator, I just put the nut on backwards and hit it with a hammer to get it out.

IMO its perfectly fine to leave it ripped torn or no boot at all because I take a class that I learn to work on cars in there and I asked the teacher and he said its fine to leave them busted.

Really? You want water and other corrosive crap to get in there and wear them down? Not to mention there will not be any grease/lubricant in them, which could lead to a separation of the ball joint from the socket?

I don't know about that teacher of yours.

You do realize that when wheels fall off on the road, it's because the ball joint has failed right? That teacher of yours needs to see what happens when a boot gets torned.

I use a ball joint separator that I bought from NAPA instead of using a pickle fork. I have never broken a ball joint boot since I bought this tool. I don't have the part number on me, but if you look at the tool catalog you can find it. Make sure you keep the nut on when you are cranking on this tool because the stud can sometime deform under load. Also you can put the ball joint back together without the boot, but I wouldn't recommend it because water/dirt/grime will get inside the joint and it will eventually fail. The tool looks like this:

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 142
Im just going by what I was told. And you not supposed to hammer a ball joint btw. My teacher is pretty old so maybe he's wrong.

You need to learn to question things and see the logic in the purpose of a part on a car.
The boot isn't there for fun and gags...it's their to protect the joint from foreign matter, like dirt and dust. In time this will cause a failure. Water will in most cases not affect it initially as water and grease don't mix...but get enough dirt to remove the grease...and eventually you'll have an issue.

I wouldn't trust your teacher...thats for sure.:notgood:

btw mini z, I'm surprised the grease leaked out...seems that it's always appeard to be so thick material.

As far as getting another boot...that I'm not sure of but you could check CAPS(whatever the inventory tool thing is, do a search on the forums) or maybe a junkyard??

I have actually read the thread before. Ill show him someday. My teacher thinks that you have to buy a new control arm to get the boot but I know thats not right now. My teacher also admitted to know nothing about imports as well. He could fix a honda so he let me work on it and we found out that two plugs were identical and were switched. The ISC and an emission plug. It caused the car to run rich. Im still learning.:)

a ghetto but efficient way to fix your ripped boot is to cover it with a plastic bag. Don't use no wimpy plastic bags like from walmart though, ziplock bags worked just fine with me. to hold it together i used some thick rubber bands. To this day, they have not leaked or broken (the platic bag that is)

...oh, this was on my honda but same deal

Do NOT leave that ball joint in there with a ripped boot. New ball joint aren't a whole lot as it is... just replace it.

You dont need to replace the ball joint boots if they break. Is that all you trying to do is get a new ball joint because of the boot?

And this is what scares me about this site.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back