The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rear hatch gas struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Havoc

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Beaverton, Oregon
I'm having a tough time finding replacement struts. Does anyone have the mitsu Part numbers? Mine are goooone, if I let go of the hatch it will smack me in the head, and it hurts a lot...

Wow, thats the fastest responce I've ever seen! Thanks bud.

thanks, but we dont have an advance auto, at least where im at here in Oregon. I'll try to locate one. Thanks again, i thought 60 bux was a bit high.

Well, did a little digging, found out that Checker, Shucks, Kragen, Discount Auto parts, and Advance Auto Parts, are all the same company. Well at least owned by the same company. Found the struts at the Shucks 2 blocks away! Thanks AWDpetmitsu I would of never thought to look at a local parts store, for what in all my other cars, would of been a dealer part.

Spidey you pais $90 for them?? Whoa. I used a 1/2 broomstick to prop up the hatch for two years until I shelled out $64 for the pair. :D

I must admit it was a bi*** getting those things installed.

Got the pair from Shucks Auto Parts, which is Advance auto, which is checker/kragen/discount auto parts. 44.98 for both, no sales tax in Oregon! ;) Put them in, and boy are they great! Pop the lid, lift 2 inches and BANG they engage, and lift all the way up. Mine have a limited lifetime warranty. But the dude said keep the recipt, and bring them in if they fail. I want to get a set for the hood if I can find a fiberglass hood (can't afford the carbon fibers..). I hate hood props, They get in the way alll the time... Just fab some mounts do the math, so when you pop the hood and slide the release, it raises on its own like the rear hatch. Hell I wonder if I could use the old ones. Fiberglass is MUCH lighter than the stock hood, and I bet they will still hold 25 lbs or so... Well I'm rambling later all.

Just be careful of your leverage against the fiberglass, you're putting a lot more force into it than you'd ever suspect. And if you work it out, make sure to do a tech piece for it and share.

Ya me to autozone all the way. I paid 40 for both of them.

Originally posted by Defiant
Just be careful of your leverage against the fiberglass, you're putting a lot more force into it than you'd ever suspect. And if you work it out, make sure to do a tech piece for it and share.

Oh definatley. My Pontiac Fiero has all fiberglass/plastic body and trim. It has a fiberglass front hood, decklid, and roof, plastic fenders, bumpers and 1/4 panels. And guys have been putting hydraulics on them for years now, without any fatigue, or cracking. I think 2 light-med pressure struts will work just fine. The hood on my fiero weighs in at around 45 lbs and the kits they sell use only one strut. So I think 2 with light to med pressure will hold up a DSM hood weighing in at under 45.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back