The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rear Hatch Exterior Molding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beppe

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 27, 2008
Mt Pocono, Pennsylvania
Hey guys i am looking for the rear hatch molding that goes around the whole outside of the window the little black strip that makes everything look pretty. does anyone know where to get this for a decent price? or happen to know the part number thanks

yea the dealer wants like 60 bucks! i am guessing its number 17 reveal molding? because there is a strip there also. kinda confusing

i dont think anyone would actually have the molding on the outside of the glass? its not something that just comes out

You could always check on ebay too :). Local dsm forums, or junkyards should have them for a decent price too.

Does anyone have the part number?

MB881972 - go to your local dealer.

You have to take the hatch glass out to replace that rubber trim. I had a bad leak on the rear window and I decided to replace the molding while the glass shop was fixing the leak.

I didn't pay $60 for it, I think I paid $25. Call 850-575-0782. Tell them that Deepak (which is my real name) with the Talon gave you the number on DSMTuners. You'll probably talk to Jeremy. After they give you the price, ask for the "club member" price.

hey man thanks a lot! you don't think there is any other way i could slip this rubber around without taking the glass out?? i mean i kept some of the old molding and it slips in pretty easy i hope i can do it without taking the glass out :cry: is it easy enough to take out the glass your self if i have too? or is it better to take it somewhere?

No, there is no other way to slip the rubber around without taking the glass out. I took mine to a glass shop and paid them $80 to reseal the hatch window and put a new trim in at the same time.

thanks for your help i appreciate it. i am thinking of taking on the project myself although not sure. because the guys over here give you that line of bullshit if the glass breaks there not responsible you have to buy new glass. WTF kind of windows guys are you? if the glass is not cracked why would it break?

Glass, especially windshields get brittle over time. I was told by my glass shop that the chances of a rear hatch glass breaking are maybe 1 in a 100, but IF it happens, they tell you in advance so they won't be responsible for it. I went to the reputable glass shop with enough money to get one if it shattered but I didn't need a new one. If someone at a glass shop with years of experience breaks a glass while taking it out, what makes you think that you won't? :confused:

i guess thats part of the learning experience LOL. but anyways i called Jeremy at the number you gave me and it was a great price 20 bucks so i asked him if he can ship it and he said minimum shipping is 12 dollars then he told me once he gets the part it should be flexible enough that he can put it in a smaller box. so rather then pay for it then not being able to get it in a smaller box i just ordered it from mitsu oem parts online. but for other things i will def call him if i need anything at the dealer again. once again thanks for your help and input :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back