The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Rear Hatch Adjustment Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ven

Probationary Member
Aug 16, 2021
Colorado
I am having problems adjusting the rear hatch on my 2g. The hatch is closing unevenly and is causing the driver side of the hatch to sit higher than the passenger side. I have tried to adjust the rubber stop but it didn’t seem to help with the unevenness. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about fixing this issue?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There aren't many other adjustments that you can make, if there is no problems with the seals making contact in the wrong places then it comes down to the hinges being bent or something.

If you can't find a strut causing the issue there are 4 hinge bolts that you can loosen up that have a little bit of play too, it's trial and error though and the hatch is fairly heavy so be careful. I wouldn't back them out completely, just loosen them, make your adjustment, then tighten them back down and see if things line up a bit better.

I also had this problem due to the struts. Or, specifically, missing one strut. Installed a new one but still had the problem because the new one was a lot stronger than the old one. They both went out soon after and now that they're matching my hatch sits level.

Thanks for the reply’s everyone! I will try removing the struts and seeing if that fixes the issue and if so I’ll order a pair of new struts. One strut does look newer than the other so that very well may be the problem. If that doesn’t help the problem I’ll try a new set of hinges.

Leaving a quick update. I replaced both struts with new ones and unfortunately that didn’t fix my problem so it looks like I’ll be attempting to adjust the hinges and most likely trying a new set of hinges with the hope that’ll fix it.

Boo. I've never tried adjusting the hinges on an Eclipse but when I tried adjusting the gullwing doors on my Autozam it sucked a lot. It was like a three person job because everything is so heavy and the force from the struts is at such an odd angle. Good luck!

Leaving a quick update. I replaced both struts with new ones and unfortunately that didn’t fix my problem so it looks like I’ll be attempting to adjust the hinges and most likely trying a new set of hinges with the hope that’ll fix it.
It's a lot of work but to get more adjustment on the hinges you can open the holes up with a drill to give you some more "wiggle" in the direction you need to line everything up. Like I said, I had to do this to get my Carbonetics CF hatch to line up and it was still heavy af.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back