The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Rear Ended, worth fixing? Insurance tips??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE_15

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2012
Bakersfield, California
So last night at a stop a light, I was rear ended by a truck. Rear end got pushed in and broke my taillights and damaged my bumper and trunk. Wheel well got pushed in too.

I have a wheel well delete and spare replacements for the damaged parts. Question is it worth trying to align everything in the back. Car still drives straight and no frame damage. 2g awd with only 99k miles and at least 15k invested with all the performance parts which won't matter with insurance.

My insurance claim is still ongoing but I have a feeling they're gonna try to say damages are worth more than car cause they go off kbb but any tips on avoiding a total loss or potential salvage

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First... thank God no one got hurt . Obviouly it`s the trucks fault so your insurance company should go after him/her for the damage no matter what the cost . With that kind of coin invested I would say you should repair the damage ..Even if it means taking a lessor value .. at least you will get something .. My heart goes out to you brother ..

I vote fix it.

Same thing happened to my maroon AWD 1g Talon. Similar damage too. I learned my lesson and stocked up on several parts and pieces for the next time I get into a fender bender.

Insurance companies will start with a low offer to see if you’ll accept it and just go away. They only pay for ‘known’ damage which is why a good body shop will call their adjuster while the car is being repaired to show them the previously hidden damage and get more money on the claim.

The most important thing you can do right now is to find a body shop you trust to help you navigate through the insurance games ahead.

You also want to be satisfied that the body shop will secure your car during the repair process.

The damage doesn’t look that bad in the photos, but a body shop of *your choice* can look it over and give you a professional opinion.

For you to have that much money in it means you have a lot of time in it as well.

I say you fix it. I have a center and right tail light I’ll donate to ya just pay shipping.
Thanks for all the support and love guys, you guys reassured me I chose the right platform and decided to fix it regardless if insurance cones through or not!!

Here's my progress so far with build

in the UK a bumper scratch can mena the cars written off! stupid rules here but its down to cost at the end of the day, they always have to make money from it no matter what the outcome is!

if a rail is bent they deem it scrap.

if your rails are fine then you can repair most of that easily. the rear section would be the toughest i think and the spare wheel well can be blocked off so no biggier there. the rest looks like its cosmetic like panels and plastics so easily swapable

If insurance fixes it, it will always be a wrecked car. Find documentation of clean examples and their selling prices and make a diminished value claim to the insurance company. Your car is worth half of what it was before the guy hit you. They owe you that money.

For you to have that much money in it means you have a lot of time in it as well.

I say you fix it. I have a center and right tail light I’ll donate to ya just pay shipping.
Your awesome dude.. Offering your parts for free speaks volumes about your character .. :hellyeah::hellyeah::hellyeah:

Out of curiosity I stopped at a local body shop to get a idea of what it would cost to repaint my car .. stone chips and minor scratches .. I almost died when she said $16.000.00 I would be lucky if I could get that for the car.. Dam... She must be smokin something ...

How does the hatch line up? Are the quarters damaged? If everything still lines up and gaps are good, I think can fix that at home with ratchet straps, heat gun and rubber mallet. It won’t be perfect inside but the exterior should look fine.

Like I said .. she must of been smoking something or maybe she forgot to take her med`s .. My lowest quote was $5000. and that was at our best autobody shop... I also found out I can get the whole car wrapped for $4500. Now back to the original poster... fix your car .. you know you want to .. you know you need to .. you know you wont be able to get it out of your head until you do.. This is a sickness .. get with the program and take your med`s ..

Small update!

Still waiting to hear from the other person's insurance but I did find my replacement parts minus the hatch (might just use my 2ga talon one).

So got back with their insurance, they accepted responsibility but after sending them pictures of the damage, they're saying it'll cost $2,3xxx for repairs which seems outrageous. I told them I'm picking my own shop for repairs. I don't know if they're considering it a loss which I won't accept the claim if they are.

I already have some of the parts replacement so can that deduct from the total or will they try to screw me over??? Left a voicmeil but she won't get back to me until monday

Edit: spoke with someone else and they told me if they deem it a total loss that even though if I drop the claim it might still show as a salvage title. Is that accurate??

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back