The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Rear Diff Bushing Options - Split Motorsports Poly Failed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95REGF150

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2012
Elk Grove, California
When I was doing my AWD swap I found that the two rubber diff bushings in the sub frame had failed. I was looking to get them replaced quickly so I could get on with the project so I started searching around for replacement bushings. The only thing I found being sold were these poly bushings made by Split Motorsports.

https://www.maperformance.com/produ...7Jjh6yLu-2sX9jOancaXo_A9O8uISgYBoCk24QAvD_BwE

They have a bunch of people selling them and they are even on amazon. I thought they were priced pretty steep at $100 for 3 bushings but I could not find any alternatives so I ordered a set from MAP. When they arrived I was surprised to find that for the price they were just an aluminum outer housing and center sleeve that was filled with liquid polyurethane. The liquid poly had a bunch of slag. They were way below the quality of the Prothane suspension bushings I had already installed on the car. But since I didn't have an alternative I put them in anyway thinking they would at least do the job. I was wrong. These bushings SUCK!!! I have everything back together and haven't even dropped the car back on the ground yet. The poly has already separated from the aluminum on 2 of the 3 bushings. It's allowing just as much movement as the stock busted rubber ones. Made a short video where I'm just pushing up and down on the diff to show how bad the movement is:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So as you can see I definitely need to replace these without even using them. Question is what are you all using to replace your rear diff bushings? Is everyone making them custom solid from aluminum? I see Split Motorsports also makes a solid aluminum version of these bushings I just can't find anyone actually selling it as you can't order straight from their website it seems. And I'd rather not buy from these guys again if I don't have too knowing they are selling crap like this.

Thanks for the reply. When I looked at RTM I only saw the picture of the poly ones. Now I see you can select the solid ones from the drop down. They are definitely the same ones made by Split Motorsports.

I saw that thread on the solid ones. These also installed just fine the tolerances on the aluminum parts it spot on. But that liquid poly isn't worth a shit. The poly part should be machined out of a bar of poly like Prothane or ES does it for their suspension bushings.

I'm thinking I may buy some solid Nylon or Delrin stock and just make my own over buying the solid ones from RTM. I can probably get it done for $30 and less than an hour on the lathe. Should have just done that in the first place.

Well I'm screwed. I'm currently installing solid aluminum subframe bushings (front and back), I was banking on having poly rear diff bushings to keep the car somewhat streetable and now it looks like I gotta get solid aluminum bushings for rear diff too. Haha, fun times.

I have Delrin bushings on my car, but I have no real long term data as they were only on the car for one race weekend last year (and very few laps as I broke a shifter and then blew a turbo). My fabricator just took measurements of the holes and made them up fairly quickly and cheaply. Might be an option to explore for other people if they have a knowledgeable fabricator nearby.

Thanks for posting that up. I was wondering how you got the angle for that picture with the sub frame in the car and then I realized your spare tire well must be cut out haha. I like how he put steps on your bushings as well so that they can't pull through. I just ordered some 2.5" diameter solid Acetal (Delrin) rod from McMaster. It was less than $25. I'm going to take the inner aluminum sleeves from these bushings and mimic what he did for you there. Won't take very long on the lathe as soft as this stuff is. I'll be sure to post up the dimensions to this thread for anyone else looking to do the same.

Oh I should add the shop that did this works on tons of race cars, said this is how they mount pretty much all their diffs, and the delrin is long lasting. Also I did notice a noticeable increase in drivetrain noise after these, and this is coming from a gutted race car with a clickety-clackety evo 8 rear rear diff that was already insanely noisy to begin with :)

Thanks for posting that up. I was wondering how you got the angle for that picture with the sub frame in the car and then I realized your spare tire well must be cut out haha. I like how he put steps on your bushings as well so that they can't pull through. I just ordered some 2.5" diameter solid Acetal (Delrin) rod from McMaster. It was less than $25. I'm going to take the inner aluminum sleeves from these bushings and mimic what he did for you there. Won't take very long on the lathe as soft as this stuff is. I'll be sure to post up the dimensions to this thread for anyone else looking to do the same.

That's exactly right, with some delrin rod and a lathe these are very easy to make. In fact so easy that if you do this, and have excess, sell some sets!

I'll say it again... I'll buy set of Delrin rear diff bushings.

Well I'll see how my set goes first make sure I get all the dimensions right. But I'll help you out with a set if you need cause unfortunately they just arn't something you can buy.

I'd be interested in a set as well if they work out.

Anybody interested these im parting out my galant and never installed these afte i bought them

Attachments

• 20180228_201110.jpg
    20180228_201110.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 20180228_201049.jpg
    20180228_201049.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 315

Any luck making the diff bushings?

So does anyone still sell the polyurethane rear differential bushings because splitmotorsports doesnt anymore

Just PMed him..thanks again.

And that's a no. He no longer makes them.

Who else on this site can make rear differential bushings i need them my car is in the shop and cant be finished without those bushings

While brain storming I tried fitting the solid aluminum rear subframe bushings into the rear diff bushing opening and noticed it's almost the same size opening. Keep in these subframe bushings require that you remove the remove the metal sleeve inside the subframe bushing opening.
The poly subframe bushings from torque solutions require that you keep those metal sleeves intact.
Maybe, just maybe the smaller diameter of the poly bushings fit into the diff bushing opening... If it is still too big a simple turn on a lathe can reduce the diameter a smidge.
Then I think about a poly bushing without a metal sleeve for the outside diameter or bolt could tear over time.

Attachments

• 20180706_111933.jpg
    20180706_111933.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20180706_112019.jpg
    20180706_112019.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 240
  • 20180706_111952.jpg
    20180706_111952.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 208
I have finally got back on this project and have been making a great solution out of 3D printed nylon with aluminum inner sleeves. I wanted to get some more testing time on it to say for sure but it really seems to work great. I can make more if anyone wants to try it out.

I'll grab some pictures tomorrow. I made a few different styles both solid and with voids to allow for some compression. The solid ones are in the same stiffness category as the delrin ones in TSIAWD666's car above.

I have finally got back on this project and have been making a great solution out of 3D printed nylon with aluminum inner sleeves. I wanted to get some more testing time on it to say for sure but it really seems to work great. I can make more if anyone wants to try it out.

I'll grab some pictures tomorrow. I made a few different styles both solid and with voids to allow for some compression. The solid ones are in the same stiffness category as the delrin ones in TSIAWD666's car above.
I need 3 rear differential bushings whe they are ready let me know i need some asap

I thought I should close the loop with this thread and post up what happened with the Split Motorsports bushings.

The video in the first post was taken about 2 days after I installed them. I was so frustrated after that they failed after going through all the work to put them in I didn't touch the rear end for several months. Car stayed on jack stands. Fast forward to May and I decided I needed to get them out of there. I was surprised to find that 2 of the 3 bushings had continued to deteriorate just from sitting. Below are the pictures of the bushings on removal. Keep in mind that I NEVER DROVE THE CAR.

View from under the car:

Once I got the subframe out:

Only 1 Bushing was left intact. I can now say for certain these bushings were made with liquid polyurethane simply poured into the Inner/Outer sleeve combination. As you can see in the pictures below they simply put 3 grooves on each of the sleeves and hoped that would be enough to keep the diff from falling out. What utter crap I can't believe they got away with selling these to people. I'm glad I never actually tried to drive on them. I pushed the 2 failing ones apart with my fingers.

So there you have it. If you purchased these bushings like I did you were swindled. If they are still on your car I would remove them as soon as possible. More to come in a bit on what I designed to replace them.

Last edited:
I thought I should close the loop with this thread and post up what happened with the Split Motorsports bushings.

The video in the first post was taken about 2 days after I installed them. I was so frustrated after that they failed after going through all the work to put them in I didn't touch the rear end for several months. Car stayed on jack stands. Fast forward to May and I decided I needed to get them out of there. I was surprised to find that 2 of the 3 bushings had continued to deteriorate just from sitting. Below are the pictures of the bushings on removal. Keep in mind that I NEVER DROVE THE CAR.

View from under the car:

Once I got the subframe out:

Only 1 Bushing was left intact. I can now say for certain these bushings were made with liquid polyurethane simply poured into the Inner/Outer sleeve combination. As you can see in the pictures below they simply put 3 grooves on each of the sleeves and hoped that would be enough to keep the diff from falling out. What utter crap I can't believe they got away with selling these to people. I'm glad I never actually tried to drive on them. I pushed the 2 failing ones apart with my fingers.

So there you have it. If you purchased these bushings like I did you were swindled. If they are still on your car I would remove them as soon as possible. More to come in a bit on what I designed to replace them.
Following

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back