The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Rear camber adjustment (Math guru needed)After getting new tires and replacing nearly control arm on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindBlowin03

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 11, 2002
Jessup, Pennsylvania
After getting new tires and replacing nearly control arm on the car I decided to take it for an alignment. Took it to a buddy's shop and he got everything within spec pretty easily, except for the rear camber. Factory calls for -.8* to -1.8*, and he got...

LEFT = -.6*
RIGHT = -1.1*

Right now I have the DIY fender washer mod. 4 washers in each with longer bolts. He told me to re-adjust the best I can and take it back and he'll check it out again. My question is this.... Besides trial and error how do I figure out how much to move that upper control arm to get the rear within spec?

I found one math equation online that read as followed...

Tire Diameter(24.875) x Pi(3.14) / 360 = .217" = 1*

Does that seem correct? I also included a quick sketch if it helps at all.

Attachments

• Rear Camber.jpg
    Rear Camber.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 129
Calculator ready! ;) Or if you're really in the mood for an acronym, have at it!

The knuckle is what you want to measure rather than the tire/wheel. The knuckles measures right around 24" so we can just use that. Then it's just tan(x)24 = washer thickness, where x is the desired amount of camber to remove.

Easy peasy!

How did the front turn out?

Last edited:
Both fronts came out to -1.2*. A bit more camber than oem spec but nothing that I'm concerned about. This is with the basic Ingalls UCA mounting bolts maxed out.

As far as the rear, I'm still confused LOL. I measured a fender washer and it's .375" thick. Right now Im thinking I should just remove one from the left side and for the passenger side replace one fender washer for a thinner washer.

-1.2* up front is nice, but I would want more. But then again, I don't know anything about your car. Would you mind filling out your DSM profile?
A nice rear camber ratio is 2/3's or even 1/2 the front camber. I wouldn't really recommend going much less than -1* in the rear though.

Those are very thick fender washers. Run down to the hardware store and pick up some thinner washers.

Last edited:
Sorry, that was actually a typo about the fender washer thickness. The metric ones that I use are .098"(2.5mm). I ended up taking away one from the driver side and one on the passenger side as well. I replaced the passenger side thick washer with a standard 3/8" washer which came in at .062" thickness. I will be heading back to my buddy's shop next week sometime to see how it measures up.

Sorry about not having my profile made up. Didnt get a chance since the change happened. I will do that right now if you need to check it out.

Good god, haha. I honestly didn't expect to see that in your profile - but I should have with that join date. Well done sir.

With a car like that I would shoot for a more aggressive alignment. At least -2* in the front. What kind of driving do you do? What tires are on it?

Haha, thank you. Honestly most of my driving is cruising around, going to and from work, and the occasional spirited driving on the back mountains. Tires are brand new 235/45/17 Milestar MS932 sport(cheapos I know LOL).

I did make some adjustments on both of the rears and I am going back on Thursday to have it checked again. I will post the results and info that I have gathered.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I dunno how much this helps you but you might want to consider these instead of the washers. I purchased them off rock auto. If for what ever reason your washer method doesnt get you dialed in right you could just use these on the fly for the upper control arm on the rear of the 2g. .75 to 1.5 degrees of camber adjustment. No unbolting of the upper control arm nessicary and can be adjusted right at the alignment shop. I feel it takes the guess work out of things. At 21.79 a side its worth it to me.

Good god, haha. I honestly didn't expect to see that in your profile - though I should have with that join date. Well done sir.

With a car like that I would shoot for a more aggressive alignment. At least -2* in the front. What kind of driving do you do? What tires are on it?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I dunno how much this helps you but you might want to consider these instead of the washers. I purchased them off rock auto. If for what ever reason your washer method doesnt get you dialed in right you could just use these on the fly for the upper control arm on the rear of the 2g. .75 to 1.5 degrees of camber adjustment. No unbolting of the upper control arm nessicary and can be adjusted right at the alignment shop. I feel it takes the guess work out of things. At 21.79 a side its worth it to me.
Nothing personal, in the least, but there was a day that I, too, thought that that type of kit would save me a headache or at least allow me better adjustability. Boy was I wrong, even if it does have better/easier adjustability.
I even went as far as writing a rage fueled article about it.

Bottom line is I can't recommend that style of solution unless you own a legit set of smart strings and perform your own alignments. I'm sure a certain few would appreciate a "great unwashed" comment right now. The real problem is the guy operating the hardware. Not even bribes buy brains - I tried.

Id take 2 out of the left then check it out. And take some with you and if you need to make an adjustment just have him do it on the machine. I think mine is like -1.3 in the rear and -1.5 in the front. I forget my toe measurements I use the machine at work and adjusted it like 5 times before i found something i liked. Ill try to find my sheet. Im also lowered a bit.

Nothing personal, in the least, but there was a day that I, too, thought that that type of kit would save me a headache or at least allow me better adjustability. Boy was I wrong, even if it does have better/easier adjustability.
I even went as far as writing a rage fueled article about it.

Bottom line is I can't recommend that style of solution unless you own a legit set of smart strings and perform your own alignments. I'm sure a certain few would appreciate a "great unwashed" comment right now. The real problem is the guy operating the hardware. Not even bribes buy brains - I tried.

I am not sure what kind of bad luck you had with your alignment from what ever shops you were going too. I realize some places just suck for an alignment and if you know how to do it yourself then you are better off. I happen to have a very good alignment shop local. Even though they yell about my lowered cars they still provide great work and show me exactly all of my adjustments. I literally sit there and watch them do what I ask them to do provided I had good parts on my car or else they won't even touch a car. In any case I had good luck with that kit along with the ignalls I bought for the front. You are right. It is the installer. I have been through that stage in life where I was wasting tires from crappy work. It sucks!

Sorry for the late reply.

So I basically found out that a metric fender washer with a thickness of .098"(2.5mm) will add or subtract ~0.3* rear camber and a standard fender washer with a thickness of .062" will add or subtract ~0.2* rear camber.

After making needed adjustments my rear camber came out to be -1.3* on the left and -1.4* on the right.

Factory calls for being within 1.0* side-to-side - you are well within that, don't worry about it...If this is a street car you are completely fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back