The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

really confused about 4G63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTUDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2005
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Ok guys , i was arguing with my friend about 4g63 engine.I want to ask ;who made the 4g63 engine-Japan or Usa? And what is the difference between 4g63 and 4g63T Thanks alot.I want to show him (my friend) the answers ;) :D

Ok guys , i was arguing with my friend about 4g63 engine.I want to ask ;who made the 4g63 engine-Japan or Usa? And what is the difference between 4g63 and 4g63T Thanks alot.I want to show him (my friend) the answers ;) :D

The 4G63 was designed in Japan in the early 80's and made it's debut around 1985 or so. It debuted in the DSM platform in 1989. It's purely a Japanese engine. The ONLY difference between a non-turbo 4G63 and a turbo 4G63T are the pistons (lower compression for turbo motor), no oil squirters for the pistons in the block for N/T, and different cams. Other than that, the head and block are exactly the same.

What does 4G63 mean?
What does 420A mean?
These are engine model designators. 4G63 is the Mitsubishi model number for the DSM turbo engine, which was built entirely by Mitsubishi. The 4G63 model number was used for 1G turbo, 1G non-turbo and 2G turbo engines; although the engines are somewhat different from each other, they retain the same basic design.
Please note that there are different 4G63 engines, although posters on the Talon Digest almost invariably mean the turbo 2.0L version. Generally speaking, components from one 4G63 can be fitted to another 4G63, because the basic components (head, block, etc) are the same.
420A is the model of the Chrysler-made 2G 2.0L non-turbo engine. Fundamentally different from the Mitsu 4G63 engines, the 420A represents a distinct shift in DSM evolution, as Chrysler took over engine duties on the non-turbo cars. Generally, components from 420A engines cannot be fitted to the 4G63 engines, or vice versa.

1000 Already Answered Questions - Index page

The suffix 'T' is sometimes used to explicitly mean Turbo.

Japan made the 4g63.

The difference between a 4g63 and a 4g63T is basically a turbo charger. I'm not completely sure that 4g63T is even an actual engine code. However, it does shorthandedly distinguish between non-turbo and turbo motors.

Edit: Too slow...

The difference between a 4g63 and a 4g63T is basically a turbo charger. I'm not completely sure that 4g63T is even an actual engine code.

There are a FEW differences in the engine themselves, which I pointed out earlier. And the 4G63 DOES refer to the actual engine code. Just like LS1, LT1, B18C5, etc.

There are a FEW differences in the engine themselves, which I pointed out earlier. And the 4G63 DOES refer to the actual engine code. Just like LS1, LT1, B18C5, etc.

That's why I said basically. Sorry if that is confusing, but here is what I'm mean: Both motors can be run without a turbo charger, no problem. Both can be run with a turbocharger; for the most part no problem. Whether one has or lacks a turbocharger doesn't change the fact that it is a 4g63.
I know the differences between the turbo and non-turbo motors and accessories/components, as well as the fact that 4g63 does refer to the actual engine code. I question '4g63T' as being an actual engine code. As I stated, adding the 'T' to the end does distinguish - at least to us here on the internet - what motor is being discussed. But was it Mitsubishi's doing in naming it the 4g63T, I have not seen or heard anything supporting that.
Ultimately, if that is an actual engine code, what does the 'T' justify? What does it stand for? I'm quite sure it isn't oil squirters or different cams.

Is the 4g block designation still used in some cars? Kinda like in the 80's toyota used to 4a block for about everything it seemed like.

Duh, now I feel like a tard face. I believe the new Evo X uses a 4b block.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back