The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ready to swap auto (complete donor car)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
I bought a compete car yesterday to start my swap to auto..it's Ben sitting for ten years but was well kept and ran.

Questions are as follows..

1.) How hard if possible is it to have the lights in the dash work for the power/economy modes, and sane for the overdrive light... do I need to swap the entire interior dash harness for this?

2.) What all should I do too the trans before putting it into service, and how much am I lookingat? Meaning which clutches should I swap and for difficult are they yto get to manning are they really accessible or require a compete tear down? My car makes a solid 500 awhp through the manual

3.) Well I be able to get a decent launch out of it with a stock converter running an hx35/40 hybrid?

1g or 2g? I can help you out tremendously if it's a 2g since I've gone through this swap myself and have all of the factory equipment working as it should save the ignition interlock cable. Shoot me a PM if it's a 2g so I know when to come back and dish out info.

I wish it was a2g, but mine got totaled do this is a 91 gsx 5speed and my donor is a 92 talon tsi auto

Perfect donor car. I swapped my 91 manual to auto last year. You will have to swap the interior harness in for the cluster to work. I did and also added the overhead light with trans temp warning light. I didn't swap the engine harness over and it only required me to rewire one plug for the starter solenoid. As far as the trans goes how many miles are on the car? It is really simple to freshen it up with a alto red eagle kit which has Borg Warner clutches provided or the trans Star rebuild kit with rayespetos clutches. That will run you around $300, I went ahead and bought a kiggly front clutch pack for $120 ish, transgo shift kit $100. For that $500 you will have a trans capable of running high 8s per kigglys site. The rebuild doesn't take a any special I tools to complete just download the service manual off of atdsm.Com and patience. Dave at egispecialties can chip your tcu with full line pressure and custom shift points at different settings with the power/eco button for $175 which is what I did without the hassle of splicing into the harness. You can do the kiggly mod full manumatic or a shift box but both will require you to manually downshift the car. This is why I went with the chipped tcu because I can drive the car normal and to the track, turn o.d off race and drive home like it's stock. Ran a 10.4 yesterday@135 with a hx40 only the 2nd time at track this year at 33 psi with a 1.7 60ft. I'm not familiar with the hx35/40 hybrid as far as spool characteristics. It took me a year to get the right combination for stall. Ended up sending my factory lk high stall converter to sinister for a c2 spoolinator. There is the ipt restalled as well for $500, but I have no experience with it. The c2 acts just like a stock converter until I punch it and it flashes to 6000rpm and takes off like a bat out of hell. The cams, intake manifold, 1g or 2g head all play a pivotal role in how it will react for stall. It's trial and error really.

Trans ha 134k miles on it. .. how much is that C2 spoolinator? And is that just a mod to the stock converter?

The c2 is $900 is you don't send in a core, $800 if you do. It's a fresh converter being an 8". It is a decent amount of money unless you step upto bradco which is $1450 and Jeff bush just came out with a new precision converter kit as well. Haven't seen any results about Jeff's but you know its top notch. I would freshen the trans up. I'm sure you could slap a shift kit in the valve body and be fine but I like to do things once and not worry later on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back