1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Ready to start my journey

Posted by Jonathan w, Sep 19, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Jonathan w

Jonathan w Probationary Member

Joined Sep 19, 2019
    Points, West Virginia
    Hello everyone just purchased a 1995 eclipse gsx 5 speed 57k miles it runs just been sitting for over a year it's got zero strut rust or visible rust on the exterior of the car it's going to be a faster son project my 6 year old loves cars could someone help get a list of all the things that I will have to check/replace from sitting for such a long time the cars basically bone stock only mod is cat back exhaust Screenshot_20190919-211045.png

Attached Files:

2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I'm gonna say that 57 isnt correct. Look at the wear on the seats and shift knob.
    Start with rubber components. Belts. Hoses. Sitting a year isnt that bad.
    Changing all fluids is a good idea too.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Agreed. Look at all the rust in the engine bay. And look at the yellow headlights. And look next to the spoiler, you can see that it has been repainted. It was originally red. Cars don't usually need paint after 57k miles.

@Jonathan w I'd say change the plugs and wires as well. And check for oil leaks.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

343  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

261  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  4. Bo0sTeD 4G63

Bo0sTeD 4G63 Supporting Member

Joined Aug 31, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Check motor for compression, timing belt, oil leaks, fluids, wiring in engine bay, make sure all the plugs are in good shape and not cracked, hoses, clamps, spark plugs, spark plug wires, motor mounts, bushings, and all the nuts and bolts on the suspension are there and none are missing.

Street Build 986  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.