The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Re-using 2G OE Main Bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSR-VR

Proven Member
Oct 7, 2012
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
Can I re-use 2G main bolts? I hear they are torque to yield BUT to me that seems like a mistake because if you were to plasti-gauge them you would have to buy TWO sets of main bolts?!WTF

Measure them and make sure they are in spec, if they are, go on with the build.

Just curious, if your rebuilding or have it torn that far apart i would replace them. just for piece of mind.

If he was going to replace them, may as well just go ARP main studs and have the main bores checked, and line hone if needed.

Thanks for the replies guys... My day is ruined... I snapped my rod bolts...

I am going with ARPs...

I had NO idea the rod bolts were so weak. (TTY?) Also I just bought this nice $150 torque wrench only to find out it doesn't click.. EVER..

Thanks for everything guys. You guys are the silver lining on this day.

When you get the ARP rod bolts, take the rods to a machine shop and have them resize the rods when they install the ARP rod bolts.

I have a set I have to do, the last shop did not resize the rods, and they are no where close to round.

What Brand torque wrench? Take it back and get another.

When you get the ARP rod bolts, take the rods to a machine shop and have them resize the rods when they install the ARP rod bolts.

I have a set I have to do, the last shop did not resize the rods, and they are no where close to round.

What Brand torque wrench? Take it back and get another.

It was called "Performance Tool" 1/2 Drive Click Type Torque Wrench.

Another question. Why do I need to re-size the rods when I change hardware type?
I ask out of curiosity and perhaps ignorance...

Of course you know to plastigauge all your clearances. Mine was a little scary tight considering the bse, 12k later i'm glad I took the time to check.

It was called "Performance Tool" 1/2 Drive Click Type Torque Wrench.

Another question. Why do I need to re-size the rods when I change hardware type?
I ask out of curiosity and perhaps ignorance...

Performance tool is not a good quality brand at all. I would return that thing and to to sears and buy a craftsman. I got a real good deal on a 1/2 inch that goes up to 150 for around 90 bucks.

Why resize the rods when going ARP? The process of knocking out the old bolt and pressing in the new one will distort the bore of the rod and make it egg shaped.

The High and low spec is like .0007 seven tenths of one thousandths of one inch, or about 1/6th of a sheet of notebook paper.

Not a whole lot of room for error.

Thank you for the knowledgeable responses and I will indeed pick up a new Torque Wrench. :thumb:

Should I also have the mains align bored when I install the ARP main studs?

Have the main bores checked, align hone if needed.

Out of the last 7 2g blocks that i have installed ARP main studs in, only 1 needed to be align honed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back