The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

re: swapping parts from long block to shortblock

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaazz

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2002
PENSACOLA, Florida
Hello there, i am wondering, my engine's low end is bad (smoking badly, needs rings, all that) and instead of paying tons of money for a rebuild, a friend of mine has offerred to give me a short block from a jdm motor he isnt gonna use and i want to take my head and all other parts off my bad motor and transfer them to the jdm block (which has pistons and balancing shafts and stuff in it). now, i can put the parts on myself with a little help from a haynes manual, but am worried about the cams, crank, oil pump and balancing shafts being timed correctly. is this part fairly difficult to do, are the gears marked for correct timing or not? just curious cause its gonna cost me 60.00 an hour to have a shop do this stuff and i dont have the money.
:confused:

Why do you want to swap the heads?

WHY?

the jdm should be fresh enough to just throw your crap onl.
how many miles does this jdm have on it, and how are you so sure your head is better.?

Its a shortblock so basically its just the bottom end with no head or anything.

Yeah Id say you should be able to easily do it with the manual as long as your careful. Just a few month's ago I changed the headgasket on my Civic using the shop manual, Its actually really easy to take off and install heads you just have to torque everything down good. And yes the gears do have timing marks. Never let a shop charge you 500 +dollars for something you can do yourself for free. :thumb:

Yes the gears are all marked but make sure when your lining the raar shaft up you use the peep hole in the back of teh block take out the bolt and stick a screw driver in it. If it won't go rotate teh oil pimp pulley 360 for the rear balance shaft rotates once for every time the oil pump rotates twice. Compress your hydrolic tensioner do not put it on just yet. line all your timing marks up via hynes. use a pry bar to manually tension the belt a little bit to take out the slack in the timing belt, and check your timing marks. they'll more than likely need to be adjusted readjust the gears that need to be adjusted, now markthe belt on each gear with white out or marker or something and also mark all thegears right nest to it now install the tesioner torq to spec double check all of (YOUR) marks and make sure there lines up now release the tensioner. To speed up teh hydrolic tension process use a prybar and apply a litle pressur to the tensioner arm and then wait ten minutes and rotat the motor 7 times or was it sex and maker sure all your timng marks are still lines up. If they are your good to go.

Personally I would take your head off have the valve seals replaced and have the valve grinded or lapped. I also think you need to read the manual for dissassembling your motor or you gonna have ot get additional machine work done on your head because it got warped in the dissassemly. MAKE SURE YOU USE TORQ SPECKS ON EVERTHING EVEN PULLEYS AND TENSIONERS.

Originally posted by Lordpaxin
Why do you want to swap the heads?

WHY?

the jdm should be fresh enough to just throw your crap onl.
how many miles does this jdm have on it, and how are you so sure your head is better.?

well, the reason is this, he ordered the jdm motor, but his dad bought him a remanufactured long block for 2500.00 with crower cams and eagle rods w\ forged pistons, so hes been selling the parts off the jdm motor and now only has the short block left. it supposedly has under 40,000 miles on it and had the red valve cover with the mitsu logo on it. the intake said "turbo intercooled" on it, not cyclone, but is the same. it had the regular blue injectors also. did this come from a galant vr4? anyways, my stock head is supposedly nearly new (according to the dealership) and is still very clean inside with no discoloration whatsoever. thanks for the reply

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back