The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Rattling on Off Throttle in Gear at Passenger Side [Video]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmp1516

Proven Member
Aug 2, 2021
Quezon City, Asia
Note that my car is a FWD NT 4G63 Galant

Recently there's a rattle at the passenger side wheel well area, it occurs at speed and letting off the throttle while in any gear but goes away when stepping on the gas again. However, changing to neutral while moving reduces the speed of the rattling noise, it doesn't follow the speed of the car and rattles very slowly. Moreover the noise persists whether it's clutched in or out, as long as it's in gear.

Checked the CV Joint no tears on the boot and is completely intact, does not make a sound when turning too. Motor mounts are new and recently inspected, brake lines are in no position that can hit the wheels, same can be said to the fender liner. I'm starting to think that this is a tranny problem since the noise depends whether its on neutral or in gear.

Note that it runs smooth, no performance issues, just some annoying rattling sound.

With that said here is a reference video (or sound), it's placed right at the passenger carpet:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Put the car on jackstands. With it in the air put it in gear and get under it. That's the easiest way to determine where the noise is coming from. Could be anything from exhaust pipe tapping against something or something internally broken in the trans.

It sounds like something rattling to me, but I know that sometimes the nuts on the main shafts on the ends of the input and output shafts on the transmission have come loose on some of these cars, its a relatively easy check, just pull the end cover off and check for tight with a socket and ratchet, it won't hurt to check them either way.

Put the car on jackstands. With it in the air put it in gear and get under it. That's the easiest way to determine where the noise is coming from. Could be anything from exhaust pipe tapping against something or something internally broken in the trans.
I'm going to the mechanic tomorrow for a back job, might as well suggest what you said. Thanks!

It sounds like something rattling to me, but I know that sometimes the nuts on the main shafts on the ends of the input and output shafts on the transmission have come loose on some of these cars, its a relatively easy check, just pull the end cover off and check for tight with a socket and ratchet, it won't hurt to check them either way.
Got any pics or reference? Kinda new to this thing and I have zero experience on that area sadly.

Does the shifter move inside the cabin when you accelerate/decel? This is the telltale sign that your stake nuts have come loose in the transmission...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back