The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Rattle noise from under valve cover on transmission side of motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter Hoffman

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2019
Helena, Montana
So i bought a manual 91 eclipse that was missing radiator, intercooler piping, battery, rotors/pads, exhuast manifold and had a huge crack on the turbo. After a couple of days of swapping parts from my 92 talon tsi (snapped a band in the tranny and is now parts car) and finally figuring out why i wasnt getting spark in the eclipse, turned out to be a bad ecu. I got it running. I drove it for 2 days and was pretty easy on the car as it has been sitting for 2+ years and on my way home from a friends house I did a light 3rd gear pull stayed below 6k rpm and shortly after a weird rattle noise was coming from what sounds like right under my valve cover. I thought the lifters were shot or stuck so I cleaned and put in my known good 3g revised lifters and still same noise. I then went as far as to swap the entire head from my talon to the eclipse because I was 100% sure the noise was coming from the head, but got the swap done, timing was perfect and still, same rattle grinding noise. Gets worse as throttle is applied but mostly goes away when I push the clutch in. I'm thinking a bad tob I dont know what else it could be. It's not a knock and sometimes after it runs it almost goes away. Ive got a new stage 2 clutch and tob on the way but any other ideas or help would be awesome

Sounds like a roasted TOB to me, without a sound clip or video it's tough to say. I always use a stethoscope if I can tell exactly where the noise is coming from.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back