The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Randomly sputters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEKILLERWHALE

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2011
San Diego, California
Occasionally sputters around 3k Rpms like it's struggling to accelerate. After a few seconds stops and drives like normal. Only happens like once a day. Suggestions?

My guess is that ONE of the spark plug wire connectors is loose. Like were the spark plug wire attaches to the spark plug. Try taking each spark plug wire off and on again to feel if any of them have less resistance to coming off the plug than the other ones do... If one of them comes off easy compared to the other ones then that could be the problem right there..Loose connection.. Had it happen to me before with cheap spark plug wires..

After that I would replace the spark plugs with (NGK), with the proper gap.

I had a similar problem and my throttle position sensor and fuel pressure solenoid had a poor electrical connection. I used some fine sandpaper to get rid of the corrosion and the problem was gone.

Thanks guys I didn't suspect that but it's problably right on. I have messed with them a bunch lately between testing. So that's probably it. I'll test the connections and get new plugs and wires

Had a similar issue a few weeks ago. Replaced plugs and wires and cleaned my air filter, and the issue was gone. Wouldn't hurt to poke around for intake and vac leaks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back