The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Random push button wired under steering column

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mx3baker

Proven Member
Apr 27, 2017
Topeka, Kansas
Hey Look more newbie questions from me
Looking for ideas of what this button and wire may have been used for or gone to..
The push button was mounted under the steering wheel, the red wire goes to a blue wire underneath the steering column which then ran through the firewall and was sitting on the passenger side near where the battery used to be.
Before I tear this out, I was curious if it is something that i would miss for any reason?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If I remember correctly I believe that solid blue wire is the ACC wire, so it only has power when the ignition switch is in ACC or ON position. So that switch would only work with the car turned on. My only guess would maybe be a turbo timer?

What's confusing me is that the red spliced wire goes to that blue connector with the other smaller red wire, I'm not sure what to make of that. But yikes that's terrible wiring. Do I see burn marks on the blue wire where the red wire is spliced in? Definitely fix that ASAP. Also in your first picture I see a cut blue wire and a cut grey wire, I hope those aren't important

Ya I'm planning on taking the wiring back to as close to stock as I can.
The smaller red wire goes to a 4 conductor cable, the blue and white wires are not connected to anything. I assume this runs to one of my gauges, maybe air/fuel or boost?
The black residue is from electrical tape thankfully, I plan to clean that up when I go through this a little more through.

I also found this AC autotechnic control of some sort behind the radio.. it appears to run to another box but it's zipped down a little deeper...

I also found this AC autotechnic control of some sort behind the radio.. it appears to run to another box but it's zipped down a little deeper...
Their website is… interesting. Does your car have some old school “indiglow” gauges? That’s my guess for that control box.

Yeah your car probably has older AC Autotechnic gauges or at least had them at some point. There are forums talking about these gauges on this site dating back to at least 2003. Glad to hear that it's just reside on the wire and not burn marks! I'm curious where that 4 wire cable goes since it apparently only has ACC power and a ground hooked up. You might be right with it going to some kind of gauge and the other 2 wires are supposed to tap in somewhere else to a sensor. You have any non working gauges?

Their website is… interesting. Does your car have some old school “indiglow” gauges? That’s my guess for that control box.
No, I have the stock cluster, There is another component this remote runs to which then leads up to the gauge cluster, I have not taken that out yet but i assume this car once had the iniglow stuff...
Yeah your car probably has older AC Autotechnic gauges or at least had them at some point. There are forums talking about these gauges on this site dating back to at least 2003. Glad to hear that it's just reside on the wire and not burn marks! I'm curious where that 4 wire cable goes since it apparently only has ACC power and a ground hooked up. You might be right with it going to some kind of gauge and the other 2 wires are supposed to tap in somewhere else to a sensor. You have any non working gauges?
My car has a lot of things that are non working haha right now, gauges are not on the list. Ill investigate more once the car runs..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back