The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Random Misfire code

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie90GST

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I have a 98 gst, about a week ago it threw the random misfire code, bucked, sputtered, backfired and quit.

I had it towed home, changed the spark plugs (checked gaps) plug wires, coil pack, fuel filter, after that it seemed ok till it got to operating temp the threw another code for misfire cylinder 3. I changed the injectors out and it stopped throwing CELs but the bucking is still there.

I took it to the stealership for a 1 hour diagnostic, they said all the sensors were fine. I noticed after he had it running for a bit that it was smoking from the exhaust, looked white as he took off on a test drive, they want to test fuel pressure but want to charge me for 2 more hours, I could replace the fuel pump and fpr for that price.

Anyway it threw random misfire again at the dealership. After I got it home i took off the EGR and vacuum tested it, it seems to be working fine. The timing is correct btw so I'm at a loss. any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know if it's your cylinder 1 & 4 or cylinder 2 & 3 that aren't firing?? My 96 GST had a similar issue where the random misfire was in my 1 & 4. I replaced wires, plugs, coils, and my ecm and still had the same issue and it ended up being a power transistor unit (Ignition control module). If you have a chilton's manual or someone knows the ohm test for it you could pull it out and test it to see if it's still good or not.

Man my car is constently showing Cylinder 4 misfire, i will clear it then it says, Cylinder 1 misfire then il clear it and then it says random misfire detacted, its so anoying timing is right, spark plugs are correct, wires are good, coilpacks are good, what else is there I'm with you man but know is your car modified or bonestock?

I had a similar issue when I first got my car. Turned out the honeycomb in the MAS was missing and it was reading airflow way off. It would cruise alright, but under 50%+ petal, it would buck/shutter really bad. I'd look there. Do you have a 6 or 7 bolt?

My car threw the random cylinder misfire code... Turned out i had big carbon deposits in my combustion chamber and had to get a new cylinder head... a tleast it gave me an excuse to get an upgraded head haha

Does anyone know what the voltage at the injectors is supposed to be?

My brother-in-law was a master tech for many years and he tested the injector wiring and it was reading full voltage (13+) volts, he said it was only supposed to read 5 volts.

As of right now my 98gst is bone stock and he checked and cleaned the MAF.

Cleaning out the maf did make a difference on my buddys.is there any rich fuel conditions.

Also check your o2 sensor if its bad it will richer up the fuel mixture and could throw a missfire .

I changed the power transistor. It still drops idle and acts like it wants to die. The plugs look ok, and good spark from the wires.

I noticed a lot of liquid at the muffler, now I'm not sure or not if it was gas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back