The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Rally vs road race

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd think it's because in rally, traction is already lost, being that they drive on dirt/gravel/mud/ice etc. So they use drifting (controlling a car when it doesn't have any traction.. kinda) in their advantage.

Rallying is generally a lot slower than a road race anyway, they don't lose as much speed in a drift because they're slower to begin with?

Well. Have you ever driven down a 1 lane dirt road at 55+? You really dont have any grip what so ever.

No I dont drive down dirt roads at 55 miles an hour....
One of the things that occurred to me. Due to loss of traction on gravel, your able to keep your sideways momentum much more constant. Its kind of like drifting on ice, your sideways motion is effected much less.
I still wonder if slowing down would benefit them.
A slight voice in my head tells me they have a natural agreement that drifting is funner, and if they all do it, no one is handicapped. :)

Well, its basically just down the fastest way to take a turn. Slow down enough to take it without sliding? (20-30mph.

Or powerslide that bi*** 65 mph?

On tarmac rally drivers do not "drift".

On dirt, rock and snow rally drivers corner with a crab angle to get what little traction they have to help with changing direction.

Being fun for the spectators doesn't hurt either.

Its all about keeping momentum through corners. In a power slide you carry it vs losing it in slowing down to take a corner at a much lower speed, since there isn't traction to hold you in a corner at a greater speed.

On tarmac rally drivers do not "drift".

On dirt, rock and snow rally drivers corner with a crab angle to get what little traction they have to help with changing direction.

Being fun for the spectators doesn't hurt either.

Excellent response. People seem to think rallying is racing on dirt. It's not. It's racing on ALL surfaces. You adjust technique as required. That is why it is easily the most challenging of motorsports. Also, the technique for road racing are IDENTICAL to those of rallying on the same asphalt surface. The "rally" cars are setup in the same exact way as a road racing car. A WRC tarmac spec rally car could easily be faster than your average RR car due to the immense R&D put into the car. They even cut the tires (the tread) specifically for the type of weather condition the cars will be running in at the scene after their scouts have updated them with the latest weather info. They do not play!

As for gravel, they are not really drifting. They slide around corners to reduce time by maintaining momentum. Grip is different. :thumb:

Just a question about concepts. We all know a drifter would lose pretty bad in a road race, so why is it the common technique in rally?

It's kind of a silly statement to imply someone that understands how to control the loss of traction does not know how to keep traction.

Also, we're getting to the argument almost borderline requiring a definition of the word "drift" itself.
Do rally drivers drift?
Are drifters still drifting when they do it in the rain/snow?

You can't really answer these questions.
Do rally drivers use the same techniques used to drift.

Yes.

Is rallying drifting on dirt/all surfaces?

No. Drifting does not really have a point scale, it's not even really a competitive sport, it can be, but if any of you have actually been to the track to drift/spectate, it's really all about having fun.

I was inches from pegging a wall. I stuck my hand out the window and said "FvCK YEAH!!!" everyone also started screaming "FVCK YEAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

It's a fun time, its not really meant to be ALWAYS competitive.
Sometimes, as in most of the time, I mean really all of the time, if you tear your back bumper off getting too close to a concrete barrier, you are the man.

;)

Silly argument, Biased because I drift.

2 cents.

Here's a buddy, I was here when this was filmed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI0HNvHMHUk&feature=related

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back