The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Radio turns off when accelerating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy nguyen

Probationary Member
Dec 27, 2014
indianapolis, Indiana
This started happening after my timing belt was going out. My radio when the engine is not engaged but the car is on, radio works perfectly fine. When I turn the car on the radio turns off around 1500 rpms and at 1000 rpms it turns back on. When I accelerate in neutral, the radio turns off. After about 20-30 minutes of driving. The radio turns on and stays on until I turn the car off.
I cannot seem to figure out the problem. Is it the wiring behind the radio? Its on a 1997 eclipse spyder gs

It is definitely a wiring problem. If you are familiar with stereo wiring check the power and ground wires. Or maybe your stereo is going out.
Its a fairly new radio. I had best buy install the radio. I'll try and we wire it.

Some might call that a performance upgrade. Listen to the motor as it revs!

Likely a bare wire behind the stereo that shifts under acceleration causing a short. I think wiring issues are everyone's favorite yo chase down. Good luck.

How does it power up with the antenna? When you turn your key on it sends power to the radio, then your radio has a wire on the back of it to send power to the antenna for it to come up.

I mean the antenna wire that plugs into the back of the radio, its turns the radio on. I rewired the whole wiring harness today and haven't tried turning the car on and hopefully it works now.

Maybe its the radio thats messed up? I rewired everything. The ground is on the chassis, still does the same thing. When I unplug the radio cord, the aftermarket radio shuts off. Shouldnt it stay on but the radio signals just dont work.

Could also be a short circuit too, or blown fuse on the radio or maybe a partly blown fuse or relay in the dsm wiring, at the least it would be worth it to test any relays or fuses that power the unit, with an ohm meter, and make sure they are showing good numbers, before you condemn the deck unit.

Better yet if you have another car on hand mount your stereo unit in it, and then see if the same symptoms pop up. then you will know its something on the deck unit.

I would pull the radio out while the car is running and shake it around. see what happens. then you can wiggle each wire at the terminal and at the splice into the factory harness. make sure there are no "extra"wires that arent connected ,either at the radio or at the factory harness. if you unplug the antenna wire and the radio shuts off , then the issue is likely a ground connection .get out the old dvom and check ohms from the neg battery terminal to the ground going into the back of the radio. then work your way back checking resistance at each splice on that wire to see iff resistance goes up. would indicate a bad connection. installing the same radio in another car as mentioned above , would be helpful as well. Happy hunting...

I mean the antenna wire that plugs into the back of the radio, its turns the radio on.
That is not correct. The radio runs the antenna, not the other way around (perhaps the antenna wire is improperly providing a missing power ground for the radio?).

My #1 suspicion: Your radio power may have been connected to a not true power source (many installers unknowingly do this) which results in goofy operation: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/radio.459212/#post-153219662.
I'd measure the voltage at the radio when it goes out to help determine this.

Here's info on the antenna hookup: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2nd-gen-aftermarket-power-antenna-install.467538/#post-153314087

Here's the original wiring harness pinout: http://www.stealth316.com/misc/mitsubishi-radio-wiring.pdf

The antenna wire(Out) on many radios is simply the same wire as the switched power going INTO the radio, and coloured blue to come out of the radio as an antenna wire or a remote wire to power a separate AMP etc. Unless your radio has a diode inline, that wire WILL power on the radio. If it does have a diode that is going bad, it could do what you are experiencing, failing closed when it heats up, and opening on certain voltages, causing the radio to turn off.

Find the proper trigger wire, likely red and located next to the yellow or orange main power wire for the radio, use that to switch on the radio, don't use the antenna or remote out wires.(Blue)

I am assuming, by the way, that you have a normal, after market radio of some sort, as most of the wiring on them uses this colour scheme. Factory radios don't follow much of anything for colours.

Admittedly not all aftermarket radio/antenna wiring works the same (even though there supposedly is a standard - not everyone follows it). However, I've never seen a radio that had to have a power antenna hooked up in order for the radio to power on. There's something wrong there. If that's the case, you need to disconnect the antenna from the radio and troubleshoot why the radio won't power on (incorrect wiring of radio power or ground). As I said I'd follow where they hooked up the power to see if it's not a true power source. And/or measure the voltage on the radio power wire when you have the radio going off problem.

The wire from the radio to the antenna is a control signal wire - rarely a power source for the antenna (it usually doesn't have the power capability to run the antenna or an amp). Many radios put +12v on it when they are powered on to tell the antenna to go up (0v to go down) - this is often the green wire.
{One time I did see a rare older case where the radio grounded the antenna control wire which made the antenna go up. Open circuiting the wire made the antenna go down. This would be incompatible for most radios though.}

Some radios are a little smarter and have a "power antenna turn on" function for radios/antennas that support it. So the antenna will go up only when the radio tells it to (eg. not when CD is playing or not when key is in ON or ACC position but radio is off). This is often the blue wire.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back