The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Radio stolen out of my car!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96whgsx

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
San Francisco, California
Well the head unit was stolen from my primarily driven car, a red 91 miata either today or yesterday. Not cool :thumbdown:. When I leave my car alone and parked, I usually leave the doors unlocked because I have heard of horror stories of how soft tops get slashed open which is about $450 new uninstalled for a replacement top.
So here is the story: On saturday (today) I am supposed to arrive at my aunt's house as quickly as possible for my cousin's wedding ceremony after work. My plan was to drive to work on friday and find a good spot so I can just leave the car there until saturday after work so I can leave as quickly as possible. BTW, I work on Geary Blvd. on 19th and if you know the area, saturdays are the worst days to try and find non metered parking. If I'm lucky, I can get a spot that is 2 long city blocks away. So getting myself home from friday and going to work on saturday, I would have to take the bus there. So, today after work, I find that my stereo is missing. My girlfriend was also with me and she found a M&Ms wrapper on the passenger floor. Guess the thief must have been hungry and decided to eat his snack in my car :laugh: . Other that that, this was somewhat upsetting but I didn't let it take over the later part of my day at the ceremony. On the bright side, they didn't cut my soft top open, or rip any plastic parts, but rather used a screwdriver to pry the head unit out. Also, they failed to take a small amp that was behind the head unit or the rear mid-range speakers that I did a custom install on (they were hidden pretty well by carpeting). The only major damage was the lack of a head unit and a few wires cut that went into the wiring harness. I'm not thinking too much of this because the head unit was a crappy one and it would probably go for $25 without the manual, the key that properly removes the head unit, and the wiring harness that they don't know what goes where. :cool: for us and :mad: for them. Thieves suck, period.

Also, I will try to get a pic of what it looks like if you want to see.

So leave your doors open and ask to get stolen from? Or just lock your doors and risk gettin your top sliced open? I personally wouldn't make it any easier for a thief to get into my car. Drop top or Not, Im locking my doors. :thumb:

Well, either this way or my radio is stolen AND my top is slashed. I have heard of these cases a couple times. One lady had her top slashed 3 times and each time, she replaced it. Another time around the same area (1 block away) top slashed but nothing stolen because somebody reported it quickly. Either pay 50 for a cheap used head unit or pay 500 for a head unit and a new soft top w/o the cost of installation. Regardless, I'm not too upset about it, though it would be nice to get revenge.

Anytime I hear of vandalism or theft, John Travolta's character from Pulp Fiction comes to mind.

67goatpimp said:
Anytime I hear of vandalism or theft, John Travolta's character from Pulp Fiction comes to mind.

LOL! Great movie BTW. Sorry about your headunit. :mad: :rolleyes:

:dsm:

You do know that they probably saw your doors open for the opportunity. Right? not many people would slash unless there was like a laptop on your seat or something...!

Alarms are just plain annoying and do nothing other than annoy people. I'd rather have this stolen than somebody throwing a brick at the car. nd besides, I'm going to sell the car within 6 months. Finding fingerprints and linking them up is hardly worth a 25 dollar head unit. The more valuable item was the cd inside. Also, no video cameras involved.

yea alarms suck balls

i hate those cars that make the honking noise when they lock the doors remotly. pisses me off. :thumbdown

I do the same thing with my miata. But i was smart and bought a radio with a removable faceplate. Most theives know nowadays that a nice radio without its faceplate aint worth jack! When you own a convertible you know better then to leave laptops and video cameras laying around your car....kind of common sense. Dont get rid of it....you would be surprised how much fun a turbo'd mx5 can be for the daily drive :thumb:

Install an alarm with two of those super loud sirens INSIDE the car, so when it goes of you blow the ear drums out of whoever broke in. Just dont screw up and set it off yourself ;)

Hmmmm, inside the car with automatic locking doors would be a nice thought except they will try to break their way out. Also, I envy you soooo much, PrimeTsi. I was about to buy a turbo kit from flyinmiata when I decided to buy this gsx. Now it is broken down.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back