The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Radio Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyspyder117

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2008
Bronx, New_York
I have a problem with my after market radio. When ever i put it up too loud and the base hits it goes off. I have no idea at all so a push in the right direction... any direction would be great. I have 2 subs in the trunk

your battery cannot push that much power. 2 subs will drain the crap out of a battery. i would buy a smaller, cheaper battery and hood it up to JUST the subs, so they dont suck the main battery power. did u try the radio when the car is on? so it runs off the alternator not the battery?

A little more info is needed, find out if its the head unit or amp that is turning off,I would assume its the amp since your problem is happening when you turn the volume up.IF it is your amp there are a few reasons why it would turn off,your speaker wires are grounding somewhere,double check the speaker wires from the amp(make sure the wires are not touching the amp case) connectors to subwoofer inputs and make sure they are not grounding or touching each other.Second reason,the thermal protection circuitry will disable the power momentarly if it gets too hot(is your amp too small for your subs?). Lastly,make sure you have a good ground and a good power source(wire gauge needs to be adequate and contacts need to be clean and tight)

I had this problem for the longest time. It wound up being a bad battery. I'd turn the system up, and the speakers would go away and I'd just get the sub.

Optima Red Top fixed all my issues.

Just for informational purposes:
-Single 12" Kicker L7
-Pioneer Mono
-Xplod 4-channel
-Xplod head unit
-Xplod 3-channels

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back