The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Radiator Fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC Javorowsky

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2013
Rochester, New_York
I'm sure this has been answered numerous times, but I've yet to run into anything about cooling fans and have not much time to spend on the internet this afternoon. My '97 GSX has plenty of modifications, including a 16g evo iii big turbo and a megan racing intercooler/radiator. The reason I point out those modifications above all else is because my radiator fan has yet to turn on since I bought the vehicle about two weeks ago. An owner of a successful auto shop and an old friend of mine assures me that because of the time of the year, the engine probably won't get hot enough for the fan to turn on. Another friend of mine who has owned a similar DSM strongly disagrees with his opinion, stating that it should turn on nearly as soon as the car is started. I've noticed that the turbo manifold gets incredibly hot as soon as it starts, there's a burn hole through the heat shield above the manifold, and yet I've never seen the fan spinning. I live in NY and it is anything but warm out right now.

ANY advice/suggestions/words of wisdom would be appreciated as I'm not willing to drive the vehicle until I'm sure that I won't be doing any damage.

I will only run when needed. Mine does not run until the coolant temperature reaches 210˚ and then it will bring the temperature down to around 195-200˚ and turn off.

I've noticed that the turbo manifold gets incredibly hot as soon as it starts, there's a burn hole through the heat shield above the manifold, and yet I've never seen the fan spinning.

How are you monitoring the fan? Let your car warm up to operating temp and you should see the fan kick on while idling. Regardless, if your car isn't running hot at idle your fan is likely working fine. Heck I live in Minnesota where it is much colder and I can watch my fan turn on when idling.

Which one is ac because my drivers side is the only one that turns on? :confused:

The driver side fan is the A/c fan. It turns on when you turn on A/c in your car. The passenger fan is the cooling fan as luv2rallye is talking about. If car is reaching operaing temp past 203-210 and your passenger fan is not turned on to cool motor, then check fan relays , check connection on the fan. Also it would benefit to check engine coolant temperature sensor and thermostat for maintenance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back