The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Radiator fan wiring w/o original harness

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanCollins

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Tully, New_York
So I have been having a ton of electrical issues because of a horribly hacked harness and I need to get my radiator fans working in this 90+ degree weather. The old harness to the fans deteriorated and melted together so I need to know how to hook up my fans to run at all times.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
there is a black and a white wire from each fan, sorry for the noobie ?? But I have no Idea what I am doing, which is the + and which is neg? Can a just solder the matching colors together? Any help is good help just please don't say SEARCH, I have and still need some clarification on some things before I go wiring my car wrong like the last idiot did.

I am unable to tell you which color is which polarity but that is something that should be easy to find out. First you need to trace where the wires are going. You should always have the fans hooked up to the relay because you do not always want the fans on. By doing so it would bring your coolant temperatures below operating temperatures and not allow the piston to expand enough in the cylinder to seal and hold pressure.

Correct me if I am wrong but from factory the power wire is black with blue. An easy way to tell is to trace the wires. One should go into the fuse box in the passenger side strut tower while the AC condenser relay is next to your brake booster.

Well like I said before the harness was melted and grounded out causing a major headache with my ignition fuse blowing. There is a ground right next to the fuse box you were speaking of, that is where I had to remove the previous ground for the fans because some of the wires had melted. Since removing that ground the fuse doesn't blow any more but neither do my fans. So I need to find out the best way to wire them with out using the stock harness connectors.

My only suggestion is to run the wires like factory. Ideally that is what needs to be done and if running it like stock blows fuses, you should find out why. By running the fans all the time, you would be putting a big band-aid over the issue.

This is just a temp fix, my car had been undriveable for almost a month , a buddy of mine has a bunch of extra parts I need but I can't get to the stuff without the car running first

Oh and I found out why the fuse was blowing as I previously stated the old owner wired the fans like a idiot and the wires ended up melting together on the fan causing the + and - to cross in turn blowing the fuse.

Update: I just went and tried to connect them direct to the battery but the fuse I put on the line blew after just a few seconds of contact with the positive. Is it possible that the fans have gone bad because of the bad wiring it was using before? All things I've read about wiring these fans say a 30a fuse on the line should be good but it just pops after not even rotating the fan one full rotation. Like I said before the harness was all rewired by the previous owner and I cant tell where the stock fan wires run to because he looped them and wired all kind of stuff strange.

You just gotta hook the wire up to the relay and there should be one wire that grounds. You can't just run a fuse from the battery straight to the fan, the fan will easily pull more than 30 amps and just blow the fuse.

Well I went to advanced and picked up a thermostatic relay switch to bypass using the stock wiring, but once again another obstacle in the way, the online fuses between the fan motors and relays both blew before ever even seeing the fans move

Still trying to figure out my problem. I had the thematic switch working for a little while but it seems to have died on me. So now I am trying to go back and have it wired the right way. When I removed the old fans the wiring was mangled and melted so now I have to rewire things. Is this a fan connector on the driver side?
the wires were coming from the pass side on the old fans The previous owner installed but the wiring is confusing. I am trying to have both fans turn on with the ac switch but I am becoming overwhelmed with info thats not directly similar. I would even use the thematic switch if I could get it to work but for some reason it won't power up the fans. What would be a good place to run the ignition source wire from the switch?

More pics of wiring
a blue/black turned to red.. I'm getting voltage from this with my test light. I believe it was connected to this part but it seems like it should be ground not a 12v.

this is the blue/red and a green/black from the old fans wiring from the cars harness

this is the harness that I want to try and use to operate the fan but can't figure out how to wire it the right way.

My biggest concern is that when I had the old fans on it was blowing my ign fuse so I am being cautious about using the stock wiring.

Ok well I got this diagram from a PDF manual but it's like reading hieroglyphics to me so anyone that grasps this diagram please chime in and let me know

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out my problem. I had the thematic switch working for a little while but it seems to have died on me. So now I am trying to go back and have it wired the right way. When I removed the old fans the wiring was mangled and melted so now I have to rewire things. Is this a fan connector on the driver side?
the wires were coming from the pass side on the old fans The previous owner installed but the wiring is confusing. I am trying to have both fans turn on with the ac switch but I am becoming overwhelmed with info thats not directly similar. I would even use the thematic switch if I could get it to work but for some reason it won't power up the fans. What would be a good place to run the ignition source wire from the switch?

More pics of wiring
a blue/black turned to red.. I'm getting voltage from this with my test light. I believe it was connected to this part but it seems like it should be ground not a 12v.

this is the blue/red and a green/black from the old fans wiring from the cars harness

this is the harness that I want to try and use to operate the fan but can't figure out how to wire it the right way.

My biggest concern is that when I had the old fans on it was blowing my ign fuse so I am being cautious about using the stock wiring.

Ok well I got this diagram from a PDF manual but it's like reading hieroglyphics to me so anyone that grasps this diagram please chime in and let me know

I just did mine on a 91 laser. The plug behind the pass headlight had four wire. Blue small guage black small guage these wire went to the temp sensor for the bottom radiator. Then Larger gauge blue w/red and blue/black went to the fan. Blue/red was 12v blue/black ground. I installed relay inline.
87 to battery fused 30 amp
87a not used
85 to ground
86 to vehicle side blue/red
30 to fan side blue/red
if your going off the wires at the fan they are blue 12v and black ground.

I just did mine on a 91 laser. The plug behind the pass headlight had four wire. Blue small guage black small guage these wire went to the temp sensor for the bottom radiator. Then Larger gauge blue w/red and blue/black went to the fan. Blue/red was 12v blue/black ground. I installed relay inline.
87 to battery fused 30 amp
87a not used
85 to ground
86 to vehicle side blue/red
30 to fan side blue/red
if your going off the wires at the fan they are blue 12v and black ground.

Did this exactly and now am good to go. I don't know why I couldn't find that easier online. This site once again gets my talon on the road again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back