The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rad fans wont kick in when it gets hot/overheat? Fans work when AC is on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor-DOHC

Probationary Member
Apr 5, 2010
Saskatoon, SK_Canada
My overflow is full to the brim. My car is just dumping all my rad fluid out after i turn the car off even before? Fans kick in when AC is on so i know its not the relay or fuse!! The cap does have a bit of wear and tear to it! Could not complete compresion be the case?? Should i jus rewire them directly to the battery??

Sorry if this has been already posted but im without my car and need it as it is my onlymeans of transportaion!

Unplugg the coolant temp sensor if they cut on as soon as u unplug it then the sensor is bad, mine throws a coolant temp sensor code but I leave mine unplugged fans run all the time till I get around to replacing it,

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I had the exact same problem with my Talon. Your The engine coolant temperature sensor is not telling the computer the correct temperature. If you run it in open loop the fans will run the whole time, but the car will run rich which it is most likely already doing. You should replace it, just be careful most of the generic auto parts stores don't have the right sensor for our vehicles in the computer so bring it in if you can to match plugs.

^^^ add to my point :) yes take it in with u make sure they give u a match if it's not right don't take it, 3 dollars at u-pull it, I bought a spare LOL,

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

referring to what should be replaced! the coolant temp sensor!

is it located at the bottom of the rad?? 2 pin switch?? that plugs into the rad??

yes and you can check this, to make sure its the problem. Get car up to operating temp where you know the fans should kick on, then unplug the coolent temp sensor(bottom of radiator) connector and use a paper clip or a bobbypin( somthing metal ) and jump the connecter, not the sensor, if fan turns on, then sensor is your problem.

Under the fuse box next to the passenger shock tower contains the fan relays - one assigned to the main fan has gone to the other side, or came unplugged. Swap around relays to see if that's the problem ..

Good luck-DSM

Im pretty sure the radiator fan switch on the bottom corner of the radiator on the passengers side is what kicks your fans on. Usuallly the switch is bad or it came unplugged/damaged.

In fact, Ill be anything thats what the problem is.

I had the exact same problem with my Talon. Your The engine coolant temperature sensor is not telling the computer the correct temperature. If you run it in open loop the fans will run the whole time, but the car will run rich which it is most likely already doing. You should replace it, just be careful most of the generic auto parts stores don't have the right sensor for our vehicles in the computer so bring it in if you can to match plugs.

Last I checked, the radiator fan switch isn't related to the ECT sensor. WTF guys....

Jump it with a connector and leave it that way. That sensor is expensive.

Having that sensor not in your RAD has nothing to do with your engine running rich.

So as more of a temporary fix just complete the circuit on the connector? to keep the fans running constantly?

this wont act as a problem if i keep them running continuously will it? I have narrowed it down to looking at a few possible problems...
1) bad fuse
2) coolant temp sensor
3) rad fan switch
none of wich would be the problem! i was also reading something about it could be a problem in the ECU or MPI related?
If im not making any sense or rambling on let me know but im just trying to further my knowledge by askin a million questions... sry if I have offended anyone with my lack of knowledge!

You might have to do that when the gauge begins to climb - is to use the AC button to first click and turn on the fan switch to first postion to run both fans.

Get that rad cap replaced, but before you do, flush out that radiator and system first. Sounds like you're in dire need of a system flushout if it full of gunk which loves to plug things up pretty bad.

-DSM

So as more of a temporary fix just complete the circuit on the connector? to keep the fans running constantly?

this wont act as a problem if i keep them running continuously will it? I have narrowed it down to looking at a few possible problems...
1) bad fuse
2) coolant temp sensor
3) rad fan switch
none of wich would be the problem! i was also reading something about it could be a problem in the ECU or MPI related?
If im not making any sense or rambling on let me know but im just trying to further my knowledge by askin a million questions... sry if I have offended anyone with my lack of knowledge!

no it wont be a problem if you keep them runnin contunuously.....

do your 3 ideas and get it working properly....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back