The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Rack and pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you have no experience, I'd go with a new rack. I had that option last year when I had my spyder, and just swapped the racks. I could have done the rebuild I'm sure, but didn't have the time either, so that might be something to consider as well.

@PlanZero I depowered mine and I will never look back. I always read people say don’t do it and it makes it harder to steer and all, but I have noticed the complete opposite. My car actually feels easier to steer while stationary on flat surface. I also noticed a lot less tugg on the wheel around corners.

It’s really not to difficult to install new seals and get it back up to working order, well that is if you can get new seals.

Got a new... Well new to me, rack. Got it all hooked up and bolted in and made a rookie mistake and didn't bolt up steering linkage LOL so my next day off I'll be going back in and getting it all back together correctly

Been there myself, go out to do one thing and end up spotting another issue, fix that then go in for the night and remember oh yeah, I forgot about what I went out there for :)

Another thing to watch for is the ps lines, make sure there good and tight or else they will leak. If your swapping over your old inner tie rods, make sure to get new crush washer because that is the last thing you want coming lose.

Just curious what method you used to get to the fluid lines. I had a hell, of a time. Changed my rack about a month ago.
Lol I used the squeeze and contort your arm in method. Jk I backed bolts out some so I could squeeze in there and get them from the bottom. Was by far the hardest part of the whole ordeal. My arms are tore up like I got in a fight with a cat

Okay so I'm having an issue and can't find anything on it here on tuners. Everything is hooked back up, left mounting bolts loose to have play to hook up steering linkage. However I can't get it to sit down together all the way. Any info or suggestions to get this done? It's the only thing holding me back

That’s not going in LOL

Attachments

• 821C7B55-73B4-4344-A0B6-A0D90B069338.jpeg
    821C7B55-73B4-4344-A0B6-A0D90B069338.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 92
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back