The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Race an LT1

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
Ok...on of the guys at my school has a 68' Camaro with and LT1 in it...I don't know what else he's got and really have no idea what he's running...he wants to race how good would I do: 99 GST, MBC 15psi, Greddy BOV, 3" TanabeRM, Injen Intake...and I'm a decent dirver, never been to the track but I think I'm pretty good at launching and shift fast. Would I be able to hang with him or would he put my ass in the dust...also I'm planning for Big Greddy FMIC, b16g, 255lph, 550's, SAFC, porting exhaust mani/02/wastegate, 264's, and eventually and PPed head.

oops I didn't finish...I forgot the rest of the turbo back..and how good should I do after that. I'm just wondering, I figure that most of you guys have races cars like SS's and Firebirds...problem is I'm not sure what this guys has done to it.

It all depends on what he has done and if his car is stripped......If it is full interior then you might have better chance....don't get him from a roll.....Is his car an auto? If so then you might have your hands full. I bet that car will run 13.5-14.0's with nothing done to it. Hope that helps.

Don't be fooled by people talking bad on v8s especially camaros man, they are badass cars. The LS1 bone stock runs mid 13s and with a nitrous shot they're just gone, especially from a roll, those cars are highway beasts.

I have a friend that with just bolts ons and a cam on his ls1 runs 11.7's all day long. He doesn't have heads or spray! It amazes me what those cars are capable of.....he even cut's 1.5-1.6 60' times.

hmm.. LT1? and u have stock t25.. watch out.. ur vulnerable.. even if u were awd.. that t25 is isht.. so i dont know how it would go.. get all those mods u are planning.. and u should take him.. get a bigger turbo instead of the b16g (like a green or l2r or bigger :D) and run ls1s on the highway should be interesting..

ok guys as you know im a big gear head when it comes to V8's and a 5.7 liter LT1 is a beast stock and im sure if he dropped it in his 68 its no longer stock, i mean they come fact with 305s and 350's depending on the lift anywhere from 230 hp to 310 hp the LS motors ahve more lift and compression but the LT1's are pretty much the same block without the short skirt cuts! so no dude do not race

wait a second, arent the 1g camoros alot heavier than the 4g's? that is what i used to think. also, the lt1 and ls1 are completely different beasts, if he had an ls1 then say goodbye, but the lt1 isnt quite as mean. if the guy transplanted an lt1 in there he probably doesnt have alt of money to spend on other performnace parts, you might have a chance

My best friend has a 97 Z28 with all the SLP goodies and we've played around on the highway before. It's not fair to put a stock turbo Eclipse against a 300 HPplus V8. You just run out of boost! My car has all the bolt on stuff but the stock turbo just won't do it. Your awd might have a shot from a stop. But I wouldn't suggest it.

race for the he|| of it and dont expect to win. later when you get some more mods race him againto see the difference. a little racing can be fun even if you lose. as long as its not someone whos gonna really bust your @ss about losing.

Originally posted by InferiorWang
race for the he|| of it and dont expect to win. later when you get some more mods race him againto see the difference. a little racing can be fun even if you lose. as long as its not someone whos gonna really bust your @ss about losing.

i agree. race him and have fun, even if you loose.

Race him..... LT1's are no where near as scarey as LS1's. My very good friend Ron has a '97 maro Z28 w/6spd. He ran a 13.90 with a flowmaster muffler (muffler only) and a K&N stock replacement filter.

I think it would be a good race..... Go for it, even if you lose at least you know how you compare to a big bad V8 camaro cough cough....

LT1's stock have 285 hp by the way.:thumb:

Well I can almost beat that if it is in a 68 camaro that the motor is no where near stock.....The only that makes the LS1 faster than the LT1's is the junk heads on the LT1....I think they flow like 215@500 unlike the LS1's flow [email protected] the cam is a little more aggressive in the LS1. My 97 dynoed 286 with just headers....

at my last station I worked with a guy running a 69' w/ a 383... hooker headers to straight pipes, dual holley 4 barrels, ratchet shifter, and he ran M/T slicks on the street.... it was a BAD mamma-jamma... we lined them up one day, KNOWING that I would loose... but we all wanted to see how badly he had me... he owned me off the line... and all the way to 4th... I mean it wasn't even pretty... but we turned arround... and when we got back to the parking lot he said: "DUDE... that turbo scares the #### out of me.... all I heard was sssssSSSSST PFFTttttt... ssssssSSSST PFFtttttt...." it was one of the coolest things I think someone that just handed you yer ass on the strip could have said...

yea give it a go.

He may have a bad day or whatever.

Also, he may have it set up all wrong.

Just because he has a certain motor in there don't mean jack :)

If his carb is jetted wrong, timing curve is crap, coil is weak, wrong gears(big one) bad traction etc etc.

If your car is dialed in, give it a go.

and even if he is perfect and you blow goats, oh well, have fun anyway.

Originally posted by Bohrn
yea give it a go.

He may have a bad day or whatever.

Also, he may have it set up all wrong.

Just because he has a certain motor in there don't mean jack :)

If his carb is jetted wrong, timing curve is crap, coil is weak, wrong gears(big one) bad traction etc etc.

If your car is dialed in, give it a go.

and even if he is perfect and you blow goats, oh well, have fun anyway.
Carb jetted wrong? LT1's are Fuel injected.......I guess he could have a carb on it.....but why?

I figured someone would ask that. :)

I also figured that if someone was putting it in a '68, he would put a 4 barrel on it. Keep it stock looking, simpler, and cheaper.

Could be either of course, maybe the owner will fill us in??

11 times dark-blue
An LT1 in a 68 Camaro? It's a matter of gearing and modifications. Considering I've ran an LT1 in a monza before and was not impressed.
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless he's running an atoumatic. Even then I would ask him what his rear end is running for gears and if he's runnin posi. also it's good to know what kind of tranny he's running.
If he tells you that he's running a TH350 and no shift kit or work of any sort than he can't be running much out of that engine. I've been building these cars all my life.

like the picture says mostly, just my guess though

Attachments

• you gonna get raped.jpg
    you gonna get raped.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 248
Originally posted by Slimboyphat
11 times dark-blue
An LT1 in a 68 Camaro? It's a matter of gearing and modifications. Considering I've ran an LT1 in a monza before and was not impressed.
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless he's running an atoumatic. Even then I would ask him what his rear end is running for gears and if he's runnin posi. also it's good to know what kind of tranny he's running.
If he tells you that he's running a TH350 and no shift kit or work of any sort than he can't be running much out of that engine. I've been building these cars all my life.
I've seen TH350 go into the 9's before....They are stronger than you think......You haven't raced the right LT1 before either it sounds like if you wasn't impressed!

I owned the monza with the LT1, and just in case you were wondering. I was not impressed.

The TH350 through gm's own specs does not recommend usage with engines rated over 335 H.P., just so you know.

I'm not on this site to argue

Remember guys, there were TWO different LT1 V8's out there. The first LT-1 350 was a solid lifter carburated v8. Check around in the old corvette literature. I believe it was an option in the vette's around 1968 thru 1973. I had a 1970 LT-1 vette convertible many years ago. Mean motor, but cantankerous as hell, thirsty, and not near as fast as the new fuel injected LT-1. I have a feeling if this is a 68 camaro, it would be in line to say that he has the old solid lifter LT-1, and not the new Fuel Injected one. You can put the fuelie in pretty cheap, several companies make a 6-wire harness that lets it run open loop. Painless wiring and a few others have the full conversion harness to pop it into any car using the factory ecu, but the harness is somewhere around 600 bucks. He should find out which LT-1 it is. Hooking up a 68 camaro with leaf springs off the line takes some serious chassis work. As far as a drag race off the line, it just would depend on who is the better driver off the line, reaction time, and then brute force. If he can get it to hook, you're probably dead. If he spins and you slip the clutch a bit off the line before you nail it, you might make an even race out of it. You CAN spin your motor higher than he can, so pray he has a muncie m-22 wide ratio tranny and not the m-21 close ratio 4 speed. Even if he beats you by 3 or so car lengths, you will scare the hell out of him, as I'm sure he will think the race will be a walk in the park for him. Go out and have fun! (just don't get caught and be safe!)
dave

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back