The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

(SOLD) rabenne's winter car build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today I wanted to finally check out my recent purchase, and a lot of snow had melted off of it, so I dug around trying to find the ecmlink cable that this car supposedly had tucked behind the dash. It wasnt there, so I had to grab the one from the silver 2g. I was pretty nervous that no cable was going to mean no link, but it had some hints that link was in fact there, so it felt like a safe bet. When I went to look at it I noticed the longer fuel pump prime, and that the fans turned on with the key. While I know the fans could have been hardwired, it was unlikely the extended fuel pump prime was anything but link.

So back to today, I plugged in my cable and it connected first try. I made my first log so I could check on the settings. ((TOO COLD OUTSIDE!!))

I haven't checked it out yet, but I am posting it because I want this to work as a journal, more for myself than followers. That said, if you want to follow along, please feel free to do so.

I also updated a few specs on the car profile. Still a lot unconfirmed... But 2nd copy of link v3 is a SCORE!

Attachments

• log.2019.11.13-01.elg
    13.8 KB · Views: 90
Today I found another car for sale locally. It will likely be a part out car, when I buy it tomorrow!
Or..... you could just keep all of them... have a collection... have the dream... a bunch of DSM's :D

Maybe I'm not being realistic? :p

I agree, I am lucky it was actually in there. Shame on me for not checking it out closer, but the guy was selling that thing CHEAP, so I knew I was buying it either way.

I doubt I will keep it, as it has some strut tower rust, and its a Spyder. But it has a lot of great parts on it, so I am going to see it after work today! Most notably, it has another copy of V3. So I should have at least one copy of 2g V3 to sell, potentially two...

Or..... you could just keep all of them... have a collection... have the dream... a bunch of DSM's :D

Maybe I'm not being realistic? :p
Are you talking about me.....??????? ROFL

When I went to look at it I noticed the longer fuel pump prime, and that the fans turned on with the key. While I know the fans could have been hardwired, it was unlikely the extended fuel pump prime was anything but link.
Is the turn-key fan a link thing? My Talon runs on the blackbox at the moment and my fans turn on when I turn the key. Not sure how hardwiring fans work but wouldn't they be on all the time? Mine turn on/off.

If they are hardwired to the ignition switched power, they would turn on/off with the key. Link can be setup to turn them on in the same fashion, but I dont know much about the blackbox setups. It may be enabled in the software, or it could be hard wired into ign switched power...

I would just visually inspect the wiring to see if its been clearly modified... If it doesn't appear modified, it still might be, so that only gets you so far!

If you can change settings in your blackbox ecu, I would check the software to see if it is even an option (I imagine it probably is...). Short of that you will have to trace some wiring to be sure...

Only on 2g's, 1g's are controlled by the sensor in the bottom of the radiator. When it gets hot, it makes contact and throws the fan relay a ground, turning on the passenger side fan. The drivers side is activated by the A/C switch for additional cooling when it is on. IDT there are any ECU controls of fans on 1g's, just for the record.

I am a virtual cesspool of useless knowledge

I should get a 1g so I am forced to learn the differences... just havent seen one for sale locally lately. Excited about this gst I am going to see tonight! But it will look like a junkyard with 6 cars and 1 driver in this household.

Only on 2g's, 1g's are controlled by the sensor in the bottom of the radiator. When it gets hot, it makes contact and throws the fan relay a ground, turning on the passenger side fan. The drivers side is activated by the A/C switch for additional cooling when it is on. IDT there are any ECU controls of fans on 1g's, just for the record.

Yup only 2gs have that luxury :notgood:

I should get a 1g so I am forced to learn the differences... just havent seen one for sale locally lately. Excited about this gst I am going to see tonight! But it will look like a junkyard with 6 cars and 1 driver in this household.

That’s definitely Marty. Lol

Okay so the guy delayed last night. I am going tonight at 6:30 PM with a trailer! Pulled out cash, borrowed a car dolly (its FWD). I am so ready to take that thing home!

Okay so the guy delayed last night. I am going tonight at 6:30 PM with a trailer! Pulled out cash, borrowed a car dolly (its FWD). I am so ready to take that thing home!
Definitely post some pictures of it!

If you decide to part it out and not keep it then I might want some parts. That just depends on what it has, and the condition. But If it's a complete car save it! :dsm:

It is complete. It does run - rough. Owner parked it 2 yrs ago due to "weird noises at WOT". I have to assume the motor is junk - if its not, BONUS! The car is a red eclipse spyder GST automatic. Clean bodied minus some strut tower rust. pretty clean black and tan interior! It has some minor mods, nothing crazy. Lots of little go fast parts that are still good, but I dont need them.

I may use the turbo off of it to make the black car complete/running. It is just a 14b and the black car came with a blown 50 trim, so its a downgrade, but if it works...

Still hard to say what the plan is on either of them. I just know that I couldn't pass on the price of either.

I'm still awaiting a good deal on a GST or GSX. People overcharge for them around here due to their rarity. I would pull a project from the junkyard but sadly most people send them straight to the crusher.

May day will come eventually, I just have to keep a holy mind until then...

Well as it works out, project unknown is currently in the second garage spot. Its real tight, as I also have the silver car and a 3pc sectional couch in there... as you can see from pics my garage isnt that big!

I managed to do a quick compression check on this thing and I am pretty okay with the results. The pics are attached. 180ish on 234. 166 on cyl 1. These are cold numbers. I would prefer to see 180 across the board, but the weak cylinder is only down about 8%. Not too bad if the 140k odometer is correct. I plan to do a leakdown test tomorrow.

I didnt get anything else done really with the exception of a closer inspection of the turbo. The compressor fins are chewed, but the housing doesnt seem all that bad. Its bad tho. I am going to pull off the turbo tomorrow and rip it apart to see what it needs. its a precision 50 trim with dsm flanged hotside. From my google research I can use a standard 6.35mm shaft t3/t4 turbo rebuild kit designed for precision turbos. But that is assuming there is anything worth saving on this worn out old turbo.

Sorry for no interesting pics of turbo carnage! I will take a few tomorrow when I rip into this turbo. I expect to find a mess, and consequently may "downgrade" to an evo 16g. I DO NOT want to build this car right now. I DO want to stop it from smoking so bad when I play musical cars. Its like the oil feed hose could have skipped a step and plumbed directly into the exhaust housing... :ohdamn:

The pics were suppose to be labelled by number of fingers, but number 4 cut off one. The horizontal 3 fingers is 4. The more vertical one is actually 3.

Attachments

• 20191117_191936.jpg
    20191117_191936.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • 20191117_192048.jpg
    20191117_192048.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • 20191117_192148.jpg
    20191117_192148.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 20191117_192248.jpg
    20191117_192248.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back