The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

rabenne's street car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got some pics from Tim of the carnage inside the case. 4th gone. Center diff took a bit of damage but will be salvageable for other projects. Going to use new cross shaft, neat gears, and ppg center diff housing in the new setup.

received_480723516761025.jpeg

received_915532562498310.jpeg

received_668521177825332.jpeg

received_686548845697347.jpeg

received_659285295303867.jpeg

I don't want to give it a "like", what happened to cause it to loose a few teeth? Nice pictures, the last one is exactly where I need to be on my 5 speed to fix it and get my Red 90 Talon on the street again. I seem to be intimidated by the 3 rails and springs and check balls or I'd have mine apart to that point.
Good luck on the rebuild, it's in good hands.
Marty

I don't want to give it a "like", what happened to cause it to loose a few teeth? Nice pictures, the last one is exactly where I need to be on my 5 speed to fix it and get my Red 90 Talon on the street again. I seem to be intimidated by the 3 rails and springs and check balls or I'd have mine apart to that point.
Good luck on the rebuild, it's in good hands.
Marty

1645201001646.png

Red dotted line is RPM, 4th gear let go around 5200 rpm on a tuning pull.

Got some pics from Tim of the carnage inside the case. 4th gone. Center diff took a bit of damage but will be salvageable for other projects. Going to use new cross shaft, neat gears, and ppg center diff housing in the new setup.

View attachment 653142

View attachment 653143

View attachment 653144

View attachment 653145

View attachment 653146
Seeing this makes me wonder if maybe I should get a PPG gearset and be done with it. I just don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Hope it all works out for you.

Seeing this makes me wonder if maybe I should get a PPG gearset and be done with it. I just don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Hope it all works out for you.
I wish I had. The rebuild on the evo 2 unit lasted about 12 pulls. Not a great roi. I also wish I had opted for the billet bearing plate the first time around. Also the input shaft was a bit twisted, so ya, it's probably a miracle I didn't completely trash the whole thing.

I wish I had. The rebuild on the evo 2 unit lasted about 12 pulls. Not a great roi. I also wish I had opted for the billet bearing plate the first time around. Also the input shaft was a bit twisted, so ya, it's probably a miracle I didn't completely trash the whole thing.
Would the bearing plate have saved it though? I'll be building a 2.3 as well so this is scary.

View attachment 653148

Red dotted line is RPM, 4th gear let go around 5200 rpm on a tuning pull.
Looks like you found the rev limiter like I did when my auto let go and my son said "Man dad, you were on the limiter A LONG TIME!"
I hope you get her all fixed back up and cruisin the streets again soon! :thumb:

I'm curious as boostin specifically states "tired of breaking 4th gear?" when advertising that billet plate.
I am sure it would help, right? In theory, better structural support for the bearing races would help to keep things from flexing and shafts getting out of proper meshing alignment, maybe?? Less of a problem on straight cut gears as they don't inherently produce an axial load, like helical gears do.

I just don't think it solves the problem, the fatigue life of the gears themselves. Anything above the fatigue limit is slowly (or not so slowly) killing them.

I think @bastarddsm explains it well here:

But I am not a reliable source of anything*

Last edited:
I don't want to go through what you are going through right now. Although this can happen at any time to anyone, I'm fairly certain I need to go with a PPG.

Yikes. What kinda power are you making...? Heck..my stock transmissions have lasted a little longer than that. I don't however do 4th gear pulls on the street. Almost never...omly at the track I pull 3rd gear teeth though.

Yikes. What kinda power are you making...? Heck..my stock transmissions have lasted a little longer than that. I don't however do 4th gear pulls on the street. Almost never...omly at the track I pull 3rd gear teeth though.

I don't think I was making any real power when it let go, but it was a used gear set. Who knows how much time it lived above the fatigue limit before I bought the thing.

You say, "my stock transmissions have lasted longer than that"? To be fair, an evo 2 transmission with a fresh rebuild is still a stock transmission. Containing used gears with unknown histories - I should have known better, clearly! Now I am going to pony up and buy some gears that should survive my very modest power for a long time.

I don't want to go through what you are going through right now. Although this can happen at any time to anyone, I'm fairly certain I need to go with a PPG.
On one hand, it is not going to be cheap. On the other, I am extremely excited about having a TMZ-built PPG gearbox to bolt in! I can't tell you what the right move for you happens to be, but you can learn from my experiences if you think they are similar enough. :thumb:

On one hand, it is not going to be cheap. On the other, I am extremely excited about having a TMZ-built PPG gearbox to bolt in! I can't tell you what the right move for you happens to be, but you can learn from my experiences if you think they are similar enough. :thumb:
Cheaper in the long run though. I'm not looking to set records. I just want a quick, fun car I can take out when it's nice out. I'd rather over build it and have some wiggle room in case I decide to turn up the wick later. Let us know how you like the PPG.

Ouch - my drive line aside from clutch is still stock 2G GSX. I wonder what will die first?
Maybe send it in for a refresh? Get the bearings replaced if needed, or perhaps do the work yourself? My first transmission made it 1000 miles before the intermediate shaft bearing failed, locked up, and trashed the entire cluster.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back