The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

(SOLD) rabenne's winter car build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wait, I see fp manifold in your pics, correct? So that's the DSM bep housing? I only see those in .55 a/r. The t3 bep is .70 a/r. Are you sure your housing is .70?

If its .55 dsm bep housing I am worried about it being late still... how late?

.82 T3 open.
20191208_144145.jpg

I am using a dry shot to get on the converter Will, but don't have it active yet. My tuner wants me to run a dry shot so I just disabled my fuel solenoid today and am logging Fuel Pressure thru the EGR Temp pin. @MorrisonFab manifold that I LOVE!
I haven't logged an attempt to get on the converter but I can and will very soon. Got the EBC wired in also. Ready to tune, need to let him know I have her all set up and have 10 gallons of E to get a FF tune setup. Pretty stoked!
I can PM you a log Will, I'm on my phone right now, what do you want to see?

@1990TSIAWDTALON you, sir, should update your build profile! LOL

As for logs - just a bog to peak boost pull in 2nd/3rd/4th - if that's not asking a lot - and I know it kinda is... If you dont want to share the whole log, just a Boost/RPM graph would contain the info I am seeking.

I am def leaning towards the MF manifold and stock 16cm housing. I may try out the Chinese 14cm housings I am seeing, and determine if machining one of those would be possible. I did find a couple chinese turbos with the 14cm housings and they claimed the same turbine specs, so I am considering buying one of those @$230 for the exhaust housing.

Last edited:
@1990TSIAWDTALON you, sir, should update your build profile! LOL

As for logs - just a bog to peak boost pull in 2nd/3rd/4th - if that's not asking a lot - and I know it kinda is... If you dont want to share the whole log, just a Boost/RPM graph would contain the info I am seeking.

I am def leaning towards the MF manifold and stock 16cm housing. I may try out the Chinese 14cm housings I am seeing, and determine if machining one of those would be possible. I did find a couple chinese turbos with the 14cm housings and they claimed the same turbine specs, so I am considering buying one of those @$230 for the exhaust housing.
https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/1992-talon-tsi-6-4-auto.13170/
Is up to date. I have too many DSMs :sneaky:

Did this last night. Can grab some different logs if you need something that this doesn't show. :thumb:
This is my tune not a professional.

Attachments

• log.2019.12.08-06 NICECDATALOG IN LUCY2.elg
    848.1 KB · Views: 59
Awaiting the return shipment from g-pop shop for my pte 50 trim that came on this car. I went with the new chra and billet compressor wheel on my end housings. Can't wait to see it.

The holset appears to be a fake so I am starting the paypal dispute. Oh well. I'll keep watching the classifieds.

I have had an ebay side business for many years. I am very familiar with dealing with paypal. I dont suspect any issues unless he gets someone from holset china saying it is real, via a verifiable line of communication, in which case I will back down and just keep it. LOL

Checked the tracking on the G-Pop Shop rebuild of my PTE 50 trim and its due on the 24th! Merry Christmas to me! I wonder what the billet wheel will be like!!!

Now I have a backup for the ball bearing 50 trim on the silver car if I decide to go bigger on this car for drag only. It has been running strong for over a decade, but it has a lot more shaft play than it used to.

Turbo Lab America says they can rebuild it even though they "can't be rebuilt". He doesn't have the best rep, but it may be worth the cost to try. I love the Garrett 50 trim.

Got the pte 50 trim back. GPOP shop appears to have done an excellent job cleaning up the housings. Now featuring an all new chra with billet compressor wheel!

Hope to get this bolted back on soon!

Attachments

• 20191229_163218.jpg
    20191229_163218.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 20191229_163144.jpg
    20191229_163144.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
I finally made some time for the garage today. It was mid-30s here, so I had to make some time.

I got the PTE turbo all clocked up to get everything working with the internal wastegate and factory? oil drain tube.
So after a few trial fitments I finally got it entirely bolted up.

The turbo had previously been setup to feed from the head fitting, but I am putting a feed from the oil filter housing on. I ordered it from STM for this turbo. Cool that they kit it out so specifically. $45 is not bad.

I still need to change the oil and filter. Do a boost leak check, and make sure I don't have any leaks at startup.

Things are coming together a little bit. This 50 trim is on a stage 2 turbine setup so I know it wont be as high flowing as my garrett bb 50 trim thats on a stage 3 turbine. Between that fact and it having a 2.5" downpipe and being automatic, I dont expect it to keep me satisfied on a drag strip for very long with this setup.

The plan is to build one of my spare blocks and put it in this car eventually. At that point I will know more about how I feel with an HX40 on the street. (I just got done talking with Matt about ordering my twin scroll manifold setup for the silver car.) The hx40 will start on my 5 speed street car and if I hate it - it will go on this car with a built 2.0L. If I love the hx40 on the street, I will probably buy another one since I have a source for BNIB holsets under $500*.

Then I can start pushing this one for some drag times at Great Lakes. Strip it bare - toss in a cage - and start breaking shit.

Watching along with the others Will! Good luck, I want you to love your car like I love mine!
Screenshot_20200126-100509_Messages.jpg

:cry::cry::cry:....but she treated me SOOOO good this weekend....she deserved a kiss!
I am pretty sure you know what I am talking about Sol :cool: :D When the "camera" car catches and passes the race he was supposed to film, it makes me SMILE.

PM sent

Auto AWD officially back to life! Fired her up with the rebuilt turbo and she purred! I let it warm up and charge the battery a bit, and streamed link to watch temps.

I also yanked both of the silly breather filters and setup a proper pcv with a kynar check valve. Still need to add a fitting to the dejon pipe for valve cover breather port, but I just wanted to get it running tonight.

Also took out the 3 electrode plugs and put some proper bpr7es plugs gapped to 0.028".

The turbo still spins nice so I think the break-in went well.

I would tag this car and maybe test drive it, but it needs to pass emissions - bummer. I may have to do a bit of work to make it passable.

The exhaust is 2.5 pathetic inches of lame so I will probably put a cheapo 3" downpipe on it eventually and hack up a DIY 3" back half. The current muffler sounds terrible. super loud!

Also - no WB like the ad said, but I didn't see one logged in link so I didn't expect it to be there.

Last edited:
Also - I noticed a freshly painted blue torque converter and kiggly flex plate (and that I need the flywheel cover plate that is missing). I am guessing rebuilt stock converter, but I will probably need to drive it to know anything for sure,

So the project has been slow progress. But today I fixed the oil drain line leak and crank it up again. It smokes pretty bad, and it doesnt seem like a residual oil burnoff issue. It is either pushing oil through the new turbo or this engine has issues. It ran and drove great, but smoked a lot with an obviously blown turbo when I bought it. Now with a new chra it still smokes.

Going to pull the exhaust and see how much oil is in the downpipe, then ill pull the turbo again and take a look inside of it. I need to get a look inside the manifold and see if there is oil coming from higher up. I want to pretend that the oil is burning in the exhaust, but its probably burning in the combustion chamber. hopefully looking inside the manifold will tell me more about where the oil is coming from.

I bought the car on a whim, so I am not too bummed out yet. If nothing else its still got everything for an auto swap on the silver car after I break that trans.

Hoping it IS residue from the past Will. :thumb:
Did you rebuild your turbo? I need to service mine is why I asked.

This one was toasted and needed the housings cleaned up, so I sent it to G-pop shop.They ended up cleaning up the housings and putting a new chra in it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back