The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G R134a conversion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajpm26

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2010
Niles, Illinois
Does anyone know what R134a conversion kit to get for my 1g? All the lines are still hooked up, I just put the belt on and tried to see if it would work and only hot air came out.

The p.o. was obviously lying when he said it only needed to put the belt on. Also, when I took the hi pressure A/C cap off there was no shrader valve, so I'm not sure if that's bad or not. Would the kit come with a new one or was it supposed to go onto the old valve?

I've read that people have done this themselves without taking it to a shop, I just wanted to see if there's anything I can do about it or if I have to take it to a shop.

please help!! This Chicago weather is killing me!
Thanks

Did you vacuum out the lines of the old R-12 refrigerant?

Also, the drier needs to be changed out for R-134A usage.

Compressor seals needs to be replaced since 134A is a different compound than R-12.

Best take it to a shop for the conversion, for there might be a lot more issues in store than just a kit from Autocrapzone or similar...

Ahhh, more work than I thought, I'll deff. look up an a/c shop.

Thanks

I converted mine using a kit from Advanced Auto Parts. You do not need to replace your compressor if it's working properly. It will handle the R-134a just fine. The kit has fittings that screw onto your existing valves. If you meant that the Schrader valve core was missing, just install a new valve core. You'd have to replaced the receiver/ drier as well and evacuate the system with an A/C machine. And don't forget to add compressor oil when recharging.

Yep, just get the fittings that screw onto the r-12 fittings. Everything will work fine unless all your hoses and seals are shot anyway. But I would definitely replace the accumulator. add a little bit of ester oil anywhere you crack the system open.

It's not a trues test of a system being sealed but you have to evacuate it anyway. If it wont' hold a vacuum don't even bother trying to add refrigerant because it wont' stay. Find and fix any leaks. You're supposed to empty the system of any old oil. You can do anything you want but assembling the system the correct way will ensure a trouble free system with good performance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back