The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Quick CTS-V brake upgrade question (rim offset)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hey guys. Im looking for rims and front cts-v brakes with a 3g master cylinder.

Anywho.. After I toss on that brake kit on 13" cobra rotors, will 17x8.5s fit?

I was looking at bbs Lm's but 4k+ on rims n tires.. Eh. i dunno, so maybe a cheaper rim is in my crystal ball..

I might go with the dreaded reps. Some reps weigh in at 20-21lbs..

But anyway. What are your offsets on 17 (x8.5s? Or should I go x9?) rims over cts vs on 13" cobra rotors?

Thanks guys. Please don't reply with just "don't buy reps" unless you can help me out.. I can take the negative as long as there's a bit of + in with it haha.. Thanks again fellas

Dont worry about weight! Just get strong wheels not known to crack.

Most big calipers need deep spoke style wheels but its not always as simple as that, brembos need an ET or 38 or lower, so set around there and you should be fine, but make sure you do your home work aswel, there are wheel calculators out there that can tell you clearance in calipers etc, so have a search for one and see what fits best for your requirements,

Don't buy reps.

Hahaha I knew someone was gonna be that guy.

Dont worry about weight! Just get strong wheels not known to crack.

Most big calipers need deep spoke style wheels but its not always as simple as that, brembos need an ET or 38 or lower, so set around there and you should be fine, but make sure you do your home work aswel, there are wheel calculators out there that can tell you clearance in calipers etc, so have a search for one and see what fits best for your requirements,

I think like every 1lb of unsprung weight is equal to like 6 or 7+ lbs or sprung weight so per wheel that starts to add up LOL but I get what your saying...

I'll have to look into it.

Anyone that has the cts v brake kit and 17s? whats your wheel type/specs?

These threads pop up weekly.

You aren't going to get a factual answer, except from those currently running CTS-V brake setups. That being said, the answer to your question should be obtained through searching DSM profiles and other threads looking for said people running CTS-V brakes. The advanced search here works pretty well, so I'd suggest using it to its full potential.

Asking if X size wheel or X brand wheel will fit is futile. Nobody has those answers, so asking the question will only misguide you worst case, or make you lucky best case. Search feature in this case = win.

If you're on a budget, Evo 8 Enkeis or Evo MR BBS will clear damn near any brake setup, are cheep (in the grand scheme of quality wheels), look legit as f***, and aren't replica garbage. Why anyone would buy replicas when there are numerous cheap quality wheel options for the DSM platform simply amazes me.

^^ You need some positives with all those negative comment bro. Lol.

Honestly though. If you are building a drag car you dont need these brakes. You are doing the compete opposite of whats usually done. Not to mention the horrible front bias you will have on a 1g.

These threads pop up weekly.

You aren't going to get a factual answer, except from those currently running CTS-V brake setups. That being said, the answer to your question should be obtained through searching DSM profiles and other threads looking for said people running CTS-V brakes. The advanced search here works pretty well, so I'd suggest using it to its full potential.

Asking if X size wheel or X brand wheel will fit is futile. Nobody has those answers, so asking the question will only misguide you worst case, or make you lucky best case. Search feature in this case = win.

If you're on a budget, Evo 8 Enkeis or Evo MR BBS will clear damn near any brake setup, are cheep (in the grand scheme of quality wheels), look legit as f***, and aren't replica garbage. Why anyone would buy replicas when there are numerous cheap quality wheel options for the DSM platform simply amazes me.

Yeah a handful of people told me just go evo wheels n they're good on these

But I was mainly asking because if one set works with a certain offset and I liked that certain wheel I could just bite off their setup n get the same ones, or similar.. I dunno about suspension and brakes and stuff so I'm just starting to learn about it now..

^^ You need some positives with all those negative comment bro. Lol.

Honestly though. If you are building a drag car you dont need these brakes. You are doing the compete opposite of whats usually done. Not to mention the horrible front bias you will have on a 1g.

It's a street car too tho, I'm doing the opposite? Whats normally done? Nothing?

. I know it will be a drastic change in front to rear, but I've never driven a 1g with upgraded front brakes.. Though I have driven some with garbage brakes..

, I see a lot of people doing it and saying it's amazing even tho it does have a heavy front bias the breaking power feel increases dramatically, although of course it would be better with evo rears or something "they" say it's still a great improvement regardless esp for 550-600 $$

But like I said before, that's why I'm asking because i don't know. I've always just built motors and left suspension n brakes stock. Both my previous dsms I never even put aftermarket rims on them

EDIT FROM ORIGINAL POST.

I've looked up plenty of replicas and they all suck. No longer entertaining that idea. I think glass wheels would be a better choice with all the stories out there about "my replicas literally just broke in half from hitting a small pothole" or even "they literally disintegrated from just driving normal"

Lasthope I live in Philly too and I'm sure you know like I do how fkdd up these streets can be. Hah.

It's a street car too tho, I'm doing the opposite? Whats normally done? Nothing?

. I know it will be a drastic change in front to rear, but I've never driven a 1g with upgraded front brakes.. Though I have driven some with garbage brakes..

, I see a lot of people doing it and saying it's amazing even tho it does have a heavy front bias the breaking power feel increases dramatically, although of course it would be better with evo rears or something "they" say it's still a great improvement regardless esp for 550-600 $$

But like I said before, that's why I'm asking because i don't know. I've always just built motors and left suspension n brakes stock. Both my previous dsms I never even put aftermarket rims on them

EDIT FROM ORIGINAL POST.

I've looked up plenty of replicas and they all suck. No longer entertaining that idea. I think glass wheels would be a better choice with all the stories out there about "my replicas literally just broke in half from hitting a small pothole" or even "they literally disintegrated from just driving normal"

Lasthope I live in Philly too and I'm sure you know like I do how fkdd up these streets can be. Hah.

Even if its a street driven car, stock dual pistons have always been more than adequate. The majority of the braking power comes from the friction material. A set of good pads are all you really need. Brembos or whatever 4 pots with larger rotors are geared towards road course use where the larger rotors have more thermal mass to dissipate all the heat generated from constant braking. Then you have people who just want big brakes, just for looks, to fill up the wheels. Also. 1gs cannot use any aftermarket rear calipers unless its has a custom bracket, and even then, you will lose the stock e-brake. That braking feel most people talk about comes pretty much entirely from the master cylinder. Master cylinder diameter directly effects how your brake pedal feel.

On the streets you will never be overheating your brakes like that unless you are a noob that hot laps. Not to mention, if your car has no ABS it has a higher chance of locking up if you're not used to it.

In the end its your car so do what you want. If you feel you will need those brakes go for it. I run manual brakes in my car with a smaller master cylinder so I'm far from the norm.

But I was mainly asking because if one set works with a certain offset and I liked that certain wheel I could just bite off their setup n get the same ones, or similar.. I dunno about suspension and brakes and stuff so I'm just starting to learn about it now..

Spoke/wheel design is one of the largest factors that determine fitment. I'm sure you know know, but not all 17x8 +35 wheels are created equal. Some 17x8 +35 wheels provide more clearance than others simply based on how they are designed. That's why you have to be careful when you start asking if X wheel will fit X brake setup. 9 times out of 10 you won't know until you get it on the car. Alternatively, if you know someone who actually has a set you like , even if not running them on a DSM, you can always have them provide backspacing measurements as well.

I really appreciate the feedback and the time u guys took to help me out

I found a set of evo 8 rims and evo x rims both with good tires, the evo x rims are actually cheaper ha.. and in perfect shape but they're 18s.. So I'll probably grab the 8s this weekend they're 550 with tires, Thats basically an average price right?

The only thing is they got winter/ice tires.. But I actually came across a forum where people said some winter/ice tires are actually good for drag cars... You guys ever hear anything like that?

That's about average price. I think I paid $450 for my set. As for the tires. That's correct. Winter tires are a poor man's slick and will do well for traction but will wear horribly on the streets.

Also look in 3000gt brakes if you haven't already. Much more budget friendly.

I'm not a fan of anything bigger than 17s on a DSM.

$550 is a pretty good price, especially with tires. If you wait out for a deal, you can usually find them pop up in Craigslist for even cheaper. I found a busted ass set that needed refinishing. I think I have under $550 in the set, to include paint and new center caps. Luckily, my time is free to me ;)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/gstwithpsis-galant-vr4-820-1000.492537/page-2#post-153597329

Regarding whether winter tires make good track tires, I can't say. Seems like they wouldn't, though.

I too was interested in ctsv swap but went differant route as I could not get proper measurements of the calipers and a deal came up so had to act. I bought all 4 evo9 calipers. Anyways I came here just to say that it is a way to fix the bias issues and here it is. I just don't know if it will work but soon I will find out.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 190
And for those guys who wonder why....well everyone says with proper compound dual piston brakes is enough well I will agree but show me how many options you have. I can show you endless options for brembo brakes. I will use hawks hp+ from my evo by the way. It's nice to have two cars and interchangeable parts. I love it.

And for the smaller master comment....have you ever drive a muscle car with fixed calipers and undersize master cylinder? It's a death trap. You need to upgrade master cylinder period. If you have lock up condition then change compound or change valving on proportional valve. Playing with booster size can affect the feel of the padle, making it harder or softer.

I'd like to keep my e brakes. Thanks. Also. I've trapped over 150mph on my stock calipers small master and manual brakes. So I know how they feel. There's something called brake pedal ratios that can be adjusted.

I'm not a fan of anything bigger than 17s on a DSM.

$550 is a pretty good price, especially with tires. If you wait out for a deal, you can usually find them pop up in Craigslist for even cheaper. I found a busted ass set that needed refinishing. I think I have under $550 in the set, to include paint and new center caps. Luckily, my time is free to me ;)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/gstwithpsis-galant-vr4-820-1000.492537/page-2#post-153597329

Regarding whether winter tires make good track tires, I can't say. Seems like they wouldn't, though.

Oh man bro that gold is a++ I love it. These ones are in good shape but the enkei on the spoke is a bit faded. One has a tiny bit of rash. I'll probably end up refinishing also, I did my first set of stock wheels bronze with a red lip, and did my mustang rims black when I had it.

People say winter tires are poor mans slicks cause the compound is softer (because it needs room to freeze so they don't shatter like a bouncy ball in liquid nitrogen. Not really, but u get what I mean)

I'd like to keep my e brakes. Thanks. Also. I've trapped over 150mph on my stock calipers small master and manual brakes. So I know how they feel. There's something called brake pedal ratios that can be adjusted.

So when one does evo rears, what do they do for a handbrake?

I will keep the parking brake too by the way. But I have to say that's one hell of a trap speed. Congrats. I have fly 120mph also on "local trak" haha with 15/16 master and single piston brake but I sure as hell didn't feel fine when it came to slow down.

I'd be interested in seeing how this would work out. 3/S trailing arms stick out a lot more than the 1g dsm. thats why people who do the 3/S rear diff swap stick with the stock trailing arms and run custom length axles. I hope you measured everything before hand.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back