The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Quick 90 TSI question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangan

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2002
Wichita, Kansas
Hey all,
I may be buying an AWD this week and got a few questions.

The guy im buying from said some times under de-acceleration the front wheel shakes. Im assuming the car probably needs new rotors and pads. What do you guys think?
Any idea on cost for parts pads/rotors?

He said ocasionally the car grinds some going in to 2nd. I know this is a common problem on 1g's but it doesnt neccesarly mean i'm going to have to rebuild the tranny in a month right. Maybe a tanny flush then SyncroShift?

Lastly the car does have some miles on it 160,000. I know it's not unheard of for the 4G63 to last this long if it's been taken care of. The car is bone stock exept a K&N so im thinking it's never seen more than 11-12 psi. All maintenance has been performed and the body interior are good. Ya think this would be a fairly reliable daily driver for 4-5 months till I build the motor how I want.

Thanks

Small brake DSM's (pre '92) tend to warp the rotors, hence the vibration while braking. My '90 did this, and I retorqed all the lug nuts properly and the brake shimmy went away after a couple of weeks. If you plan on keeping the car for awhile, look into the big brake upgrade from a '92+ GSX. There is a VFAQ on this. I was able to get all the parts from carparts.com for about $180 (including core charge), however this was with the old 30% off discount.

Second gear synchro's do tend to go, this just means that you need to be a little gentler when shifting. I have had best results with Redline, but I am currently using GM synchromesh and it seems pretty good.

160,000 is a lot, but not unheard of. These cars will run for a long time if treated well.

AWDriven.

AWDriven,
That's what I wanted to hear! Makes me a little more confident in buying her. For now she's gonna be my daily driver. Eventually I'll go with slotted rotors stainless lines and all the good stuff. For now it will remain stock untill probably Feb-March when I have the cash to rebuild with forged internals.

Im buying the car from a kid who's in my local DSM club so I tend to trust him a bit more than your average guy. Hopefully by our next meeting on the 17th i'll have a DSM to take to the DSM meeting!

The car had the timing belt done roughly 20k ago so I should be good until my rebuild. It's actually in really good shape for the miles. Paint isnt faded/peeling,interior is decent,power windows locks work,AC is cold,and it got a new 14B with it's last timing belt. Oh yeah it's got a Supra SMIC:) that and the K&N are the only mods.

Plus it's the sexy color combo of Black and Silver!

Thanks alot!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back