The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Quetion for Tial BOV owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
I had a shop install my Tial BOV amongst other things when they did a valve job a couple months ago. Now I think my BOV is leaking becuase I'm still limited of how much boost I can run and after a couple leak test it's that last thing I can think of.

I don't recall this o-ring ( www.tialsport.com/p_images/tial-hw-bovflng_m.jpg ) in the box with the bov so I'm almost 100% shure that the shop didn't use one. I'm thinking this was probably important to have to keep it from leaking.

I will check it out next chance I get, but in the mean time has anyone replaced this o-ring? What size and type did you get?

Tial says on the website that it is a high pressure o-ring so I didn't know if one from a hardware store would work or not.

I have a tial but have not had any problems with it. I am sure that is why it is leaking. Try calling tial and see what they say. You can always just try a hardware store one and see what happens.

Remove the V-clamp and see if there is the O-ring first as it's quite simple. You'll pay more than it's worht from TIAL but if you need it you do! I would think silicone would work in a pinch if you had trouble finding the correct size but you need to remove the BOV anyways for the size so see if it's there.
Could be your wastegate is open a bit, happened to me, caused very slow spool. mark

so how do you like the sound of the tial??? is it loud on your car how much boost do you run? any increase in spool time since it lets the air out so much fastere then any other bov

The Tial shouldnt leak unless there is something physically wrong with the unit.

Pressure from the manifold plus the spring pressure, the bov should hold any amount of boost you can run.

If you 'think' its leaking, then you obviosuly havent done a boost leak test. Boost leak test should always be the first step of troubleshooting tuning issues on these cars.

GstRacer said:
so how do you like the sound of the tial??? is it loud on your car how much boost do you run? any increase in spool time since it lets the air out so much fastere then any other bov

I think it's pretty loud, I guess depending on how much throttle you're giving it.

Even at light throttle it's as loud or louder than my old Greddy tyep-S and sounds like a mini machine gun/bursts of compressed air.

Now on the highway it's even louder and it's gets a whistle and one burst of air.

Kind of hard to describe but I like it.

I'm running 19psi, partly because I have an air leak that it limiting me to 19.

The fastest I've got my 50trim to spool is around 3700K but I'm having some tuning issues on top of that. I have a GM blowthru setup wich is suppose to help.

I don't think I've ever heard of a BOV helping spool time.

The only thing I don't like is how hard it is to make the Tial blow off, if you will..... With the Greddy I could be sitting still and rev it around 5k or so and get it to go off.....Not the Tial, not even around 6-7k, very faint.......While driving, I could just push the clutch in and rev the car and get it to go off.....not the Tial, I have to be under load, at slow speeds I would floor it for a couple seconds and then let off the gas......basicly you just can play around as easy with it. I don't know if that might have to do with my boost leak or not.

Overall I like the Tial much better.

well i dont mean it will help with spool form the begining i just mean inbetween shifts becasue it gets the air out quicker then the ave. BOV thats what i mean

madman said:
I think it's pretty loud, I guess depending on how much throttle you're giving it.

Even at light throttle it's as loud or louder than my old Greddy tyep-S and sounds like a mini machine gun/bursts of compressed air.

Now on the highway it's even louder and it's gets a whistle and one burst of air.

Kind of hard to describe but I like it.

I'm running 19psi, partly because I have an air leak that it limiting me to 19.

The fastest I've got my 50trim to spool is around 3700K but I'm having some tuning issues on top of that. I have a GM blowthru setup wich is suppose to help.

I don't think I've ever heard of a BOV helping spool time.

The only thing I don't like is how hard it is to make the Tial blow off, if you will..... With the Greddy I could be sitting still and rev it around 5k or so and get it to go off.....Not the Tial, not even around 6-7k, very faint.......While driving, I could just push the clutch in and rev the car and get it to go off.....not the Tial, I have to be under load, at slow speeds I would floor it for a couple seconds and then let off the gas......basicly you just can play around as easy with it. I don't know if that might have to do with my boost leak or not.

Overall I like the Tial much better.

If it sounds like a machine gun and is hard to blow off with, you definately have to stiff of a spring. You might not have noticed but you are probably getting compressor surge also.

Anyways, any o-ring from the hardware/auto parts store will work. The o-ring is not made of any special material. It is sandwiched between the step on the bov and the flange so it will take a lot to blow it. I accidently tore mine so I replaced it with one from advance auto parts and so far, it has held 30psi with no issues. I think it was only $.69 and I didnt have to wait for it to ship.

GstRacer said:
well i dont mean it will help with spool form the begining i just mean inbetween shifts becasue it gets the air out quicker then the ave. BOV thats what i mean

If you want quicker spool with a BOV then recirculate as having all of the air out quick means you start over building boost pressure but hopefully your revs don't drop too much between shifts either. Forge makes a great recirculating BOV that fits the stock 1 & 2g models.
I use the 7# spring with my TIAL or I would get surge/BOV flutter. It holds 30psi without leaking. mark

I wondered about compressor serge...and the sound. I heard a clip of the tial and the guy was on the highway when it whistled. Well mine sounds like that to on the highway so I just thought it maybe sounded a little different/quieter at lower speeds.

As for being hard to blow off, I thought that maybe it was because it was a stronger BOV, holds more psi.?.?.?

Good to know, I'll just put it on my long list of things to fix....

I bought it from The Speed Factor, which doesn't exist now, but I would have thought that they would have the correct spring for it. I'll try to get a hold of Martin.

As far as Tial's web site I should have the 11psi spring according to my vacuum.

I might as well pull the spring when I take it off for the o-ring.

I don't like TIALS suggestions for spring tensions. If you get it to flutter at low speed/partial throttle and almost buck the car just as you are about to shift the spring is too stiff. Most come with 9# springs which are white I believe or is that an 11#? I have a white spring if anyone needs for their set-up. My 7# sounds fine and releases quickly and my idle vacuum is around 10inches of vacuum. I also run 30psi and the 7# and the pressure in the IC pipe keeps it closed. Best BOV available. Mark

sweet97 said:
I don't like TIALS suggestions for spring tensions. If you get it to flutter at low speed/partial throttle and almost buck the car just as you are about to shift the spring is too stiff. Most come with 9# springs which are white I believe or is that an 11#? I have a white spring if anyone needs for their set-up. My 7# sounds fine and releases quickly and my idle vacuum is around 10inches of vacuum. I also run 30psi and the 7# and the pressure in the IC pipe keeps it closed. Best BOV available. Mark

It doesn't buck but it definetly flutters.

My vacuum line is pretty long becuase of the blow-thru setup. I would say the GM Maf is about 6-9" from the TB and the BOV is another 12"+ from that so that makes the vacuum line lenghty. Do you think that might be a problem?

Just a quick question on this bov,can it be recirculated or do you have to vent it.

My MAF is blow thru and I have a JM SMIM with the vacuum fittings placed underneath it for a clean look so I have a very long line also. What you need is a weaker spring.
I think the 7# is probably best for most. I have a white spring here but am not sure if it is 9# or 11#. What have you got for a spring with the long line?
No the TIAL is not for recitculating. The Forge is good for recirculation and it bolts to the stock glange saving a welding job that the TIAL requires. www.forgemotorsports.com or it's www.forge motorsport.com. The make a reciculate nodel that fits 1G's and one for 2G flanges. They call it a diveter valve. Mark

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back