The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Questions before buying a GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimta

Proven Member
Jul 17, 2013
Brandon, Florida
Hey guys,
Im looking to buy a 97 GST that I recently saw listed on craigslist.
Im 16, and this is planned to be my first car. I went looking for a car as close to stock as possible, but wasnt able to find one in fair condition, or at a fair price.
I have an intermediate knowledge of cars, but it seems like DSMs are in a league of their own. The cars modifications are listed as such:

This car has a rebuilt "6 Bolt" engine from a 1991 eclipse. modifications on the car include the following:
Motor has 10k miles
16g Turbo
Front Mount Intercooler
FIC Fuel Injectors
GM MAF and Translator
Aluminum Raditator
ACT Clutch Stage 2
DSM Link v2.5
Greddy Type-S Blow Off Valve
3" turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust
Prosport Boost Controller
Prosport Wideband Air Fuel Gauge
Autometer Boost Gauge
Autometer Oil Pressure gauge
Optima Battery
Brand New wheels
Brand New Tires
Brand New Starter
Brand New Alternator

It seems like it has been tastefully modified. The exterior is completely stock, and from what I can tell, it has basic and very common modifications. Owner mentioned to me that he had problems with crank walk, and that was the reason he replaced the engine with a 6 bolt (which I understand to be the better of the two). It also seems that the car has been built well, and with quality parts.

My concerns are as follows; The car has a 16g from an Evo III and a Greddy Type S Bov. From what I understand, these are two parts that can often be 'ebay' parts that dont function as the real thing should. Im also concerned that the car may have problems with rust, even thought the owner didnt state it did (It is a Florida car, so I doubt it has a rust problem). Lastly, I am concerned that the car has been tuned off of a DSM Link 2.5. I asked the owner about an Evo that was pictured alongside the eclipse, and he said it was his brothers, so I am assuming that they are a family of enthusiasts, and that the car has been built correctly. I can attach pictures if necessary. Car is tuned to 21 psi.

No disrespect intended to the seller, or any friends of the seller, but as a 16 year old, I have just enough to cover the cost of the car, and basic maintenance afterwards, so I dont really have room for anything to go bad on me.

Seller is asking $4500 obo. any help is greatly appreciated.

ANY first car is a money pit in my honest opinion. I am also fairly young but i have been around cars all of my life. Don't let the fact that it is pre modified scare you off. Although i agree you should be careful and definitely have it checked by a pro!

Plus dsms are plentiful in the junkyard ;) maybe not 4g63s but hey sometimes you get lucky. So that being said, dsms are less of a money pit because parts for them are readily available and plenty.
But still a moneypit regardless......

Yeah I was at the salvage the other day, saw a few GS's that were in pretty good shape. No 4Gs though, although my dad is friends with the operator and told him to let him know if any 1gs come through

My first car still runs till this day and all that was replaced was a radiator and its a 93. Also who is charging you 200 for an inspection? That is outrageous because most shops wont charge you anything to just look at it well atleast not in my town.

But keep us updated on how things go with the seller

My first car still runs till this day and all that was replaced was a radiator and its a 93. Also who is charging you 200 for an inspection? That is outrageous because most shops wont charge you anything to just look at it well atleast not in my town.

But keep us updated on how things go with the seller

Will do. Hopefully I can get in contact with the seller again tomorrow morning.

Also, was your car modified when you purchased it Jdabishop? I think I might just run it on wastegate pressure til I can get an mhi turbo in it. I really dont want to be driving around with Ebay parts in my car.

@ Ultima

Yes mine was slightly modified nothing crazy but way less mods then the one youre looking at. Although all the money ive spent building it (Its fully built now) I wouldnt change a thing because you learn so much by working on the car yourself so im glad I bought mine. But my talon only cost me $1200 so it wasnt like I was putting out a lot of money for it.

If you can get the price below 4k then take it and run! Either way good luck with the car theyre really fun toy around in. On a side note if he has paperwork for the work done that is a legit shop then id feel better about the car because its hard to trust people.

@ Ultima

Yes mine was slightly modified nothing crazy but way less mods then the one youre looking at. Although all the money ive spent building it (Its fully built now) I wouldnt change a thing because you learn so much by working on the car yourself so im glad I bought mine. But my talon only cost me $1200 so it wasnt like I was putting out a lot of money for it.

If you can get the price below 4k then take it and run! Either way good luck with the car they're really fun toy around in.

Im gonna aim for $3,800, and if worse comes to worst, Ill take it as a learning experience. Definitely plan on calling up some shops near by and contacting some forum members that have offered to help me so that I have a pretty good idea of what Im getting into.

Im gonna aim for $3,800, and if worse comes to worst, Ill take it as a learning experience. Definitely plan on calling up some shops near by and contacting some forum members that have offered to help me so that I have a pretty good idea of what Im getting into.

Good luck keep us updated :)

i messaged you in private and gave you my cell number hmu ill be happy to go with you to check it out. ttyl

It looks to me like he's decided to dump all of his money into the Evo, and he's done with the FWD DSM.

An engine rebuild and other expensive repair can scare owners off. Time and time again, I see cars with a freshly rebuilt trans or engine and very little miles on the rebuild.

That's a steal for that car. In my opinion, it could be listed at twice that, maybe at a dealership.

Of course, all of this assumes the car is running and driving good. So don't buy it unless you can ride in it and look for oil drips, etc.

I'm a new member on here but I have been around DSMs for quite some time(Ive owned four 1gs and two 2gs). If you need anything or have any questions feel free to pm me.

In regards to the car, it looks over all solid. Your concerns are justified due to the nature of how long hes owned the car and what has been done to it within that time frame. Make sure you drive it enough to ensure that the car can show you problems if it has any. These cars can be reliable if maintained rigorously.

Question everything and inspect everything.

Plan for it to have problems so that down the road when/if it does you will be prepared. The last thing you want to do is start off your NEW driving career with a broken car and no money to fix it. Good luck and keep us posted!:thumb:

-Audiyo

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back