The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Questions before buying a GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimta

Proven Member
Jul 17, 2013
Brandon, Florida
Hey guys,
Im looking to buy a 97 GST that I recently saw listed on craigslist.
Im 16, and this is planned to be my first car. I went looking for a car as close to stock as possible, but wasnt able to find one in fair condition, or at a fair price.
I have an intermediate knowledge of cars, but it seems like DSMs are in a league of their own. The cars modifications are listed as such:

This car has a rebuilt "6 Bolt" engine from a 1991 eclipse. modifications on the car include the following:
Motor has 10k miles
16g Turbo
Front Mount Intercooler
FIC Fuel Injectors
GM MAF and Translator
Aluminum Raditator
ACT Clutch Stage 2
DSM Link v2.5
Greddy Type-S Blow Off Valve
3" turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust
Prosport Boost Controller
Prosport Wideband Air Fuel Gauge
Autometer Boost Gauge
Autometer Oil Pressure gauge
Optima Battery
Brand New wheels
Brand New Tires
Brand New Starter
Brand New Alternator

It seems like it has been tastefully modified. The exterior is completely stock, and from what I can tell, it has basic and very common modifications. Owner mentioned to me that he had problems with crank walk, and that was the reason he replaced the engine with a 6 bolt (which I understand to be the better of the two). It also seems that the car has been built well, and with quality parts.

My concerns are as follows; The car has a 16g from an Evo III and a Greddy Type S Bov. From what I understand, these are two parts that can often be 'ebay' parts that dont function as the real thing should. Im also concerned that the car may have problems with rust, even thought the owner didnt state it did (It is a Florida car, so I doubt it has a rust problem). Lastly, I am concerned that the car has been tuned off of a DSM Link 2.5. I asked the owner about an Evo that was pictured alongside the eclipse, and he said it was his brothers, so I am assuming that they are a family of enthusiasts, and that the car has been built correctly. I can attach pictures if necessary. Car is tuned to 21 psi.

No disrespect intended to the seller, or any friends of the seller, but as a 16 year old, I have just enough to cover the cost of the car, and basic maintenance afterwards, so I dont really have room for anything to go bad on me.

Seller is asking $4500 obo. any help is greatly appreciated.

It's pretty easy to spot a fake greddy
GReddy
What's wrong with dsm link 2.5?

Sounds like a nice ride (a lil to much for a 16 year old) as with any used dsm your gonna have to put some money into it.

^^ I agree with the above LOL So what's the problem have you driven the car yet? I would do a compression test, verify the turbo is a real mhi evo3 16g. And the bov is so minor even if its eBay if it works it works. Sounds like the seller knows abit about the car, probably alot more than you. Why is he selling the car?

^^ I agree with the above LOL So what's the problem have you driven the car yet? I would do a compression test, verify the turbo is a real mhi evo3 16g. And the bov is so minor even if its eBay if it works it works. Sounds like the seller knows abit about the car, probably alot more than you. Why is he selling the car?

Yes I wouldn't doubt that he does. But as it is my first car and I will be paying for it, I want to make sure it wont be a money pit. I'm sure you guys had similar thoughts when buying your first car. Not sure why hes selling, hes mostly looking for trades so I'm guessing hes just looking to change it up, however hes only had the car since December which worries me. Haven't been able to drive it as the seller is about an hour away.

Anything in particular I should be concerned about? what usually gives you problems with an old DSM such as this? Would you consider the price to be fair?

Ya that makes it harder bro. I wouldn't buy a dsm without going over it top to bottom, because if not carful these cars can be money pits, Especially in the hands of a novice. I would make a check list of things to look over on the car and head down to look at it. Price seems high to me but we also haven't seen the car yet!

It looks like it could be a fun car, although pre modded. You might be better off finding a stock gst or gsx and starting from the beginning and learn your way thru the car. Taking on a mildly to heavily modded car without a full understanding of what's going on could end up bad. Anyway post the link to the ad or some pics and more info, we can help you bro. I think a dsm should be your first car!! :)

It looks like it could be a fun car, although pre modded. You might be better off finding a stock gst or gsx and starting from the beginning and learn your way thru the car. Taking on a mildly to heavily modded car without a full understanding of what's going on could end up bad. Anyway post the link to the ad or some pics and more info, we can help you bro. I think a dsm should be your first car!! :)

Link to original ad: Sell or Trade 97 eclipse gst for civics ek hatch integra etc..

The problem is that Ive seen stock GSTs that look worse than this. Plus almost every GST for sale has been modified in some way, and I think this one is far more tastefully modified than the others. I do have family friends with shops that can help me if anything comes up, Id just like to try and avoid that. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Contacted seller today and he told me that he doesnt have paper work or receipts for anything besides new head gasket, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, and head for the 6 bolt. Again, any help would be appreciated.

A steal at the price. Go for it. :hellyeah:

Id think so to, Im just a little unsure about buying a modified DSM.
Id like to have someone who really knows DSMs come inspect the car with me, but I dont really know of anyone.

The fact that it's modified shouldn't scare you off, so long as the work was done properly and the car was cared for. A few bolt-ons never hurt.

However, 6-bolt swaps are always a red flag for me. They're rarely completed with attention to detail and are usually just a cheap fix for a blown up 7-bolt. So just keep an eye out for shady wiring and whatnot.

The fact that it's modified shouldn't scare you off, so long as the work was done properly and the car was cared for. A few bolt-ons never hurt.

However, 6-bolt swaps are always a red flag for me. They're rarely completed with attention to detail and are usually just a cheap fix for a blown up 7-bolt. So just keep an eye out for shady wiring and whatnot.

I agree. Another red flag for me is that hes only owned the car for 6 months and is already looking to sell.
However he did say he has paperwork for the engine internals, so I think its been replaced correctly.

whats up i live in pasco and there is a couple places you can bring your car too....

automodz is pretty good i go to a place on s.r. 52 they did my complete overhaul and the turbo your yalking about is not a MHI!!!! it still is a good deal for the car a buddy of mine went to look at it it was on craigs list. if you want PM me and i will give you the number so you can set up an appointment with my shop. i hve alot of dsms around here and the all go to 52!!! and they do litterally everything except tuning which they have someone to do that but i wood do it myself if i was you

whats up i live in pasco and there is a couple places you can bring your car too....

automodz is pretty good i go to a place on s.r. 52 they did my complete overhaul and the turbo your yalking about is not a MHI!!!! it still is a good deal for the car a buddy of mine went to look at it it was on craigs list. if you want PM me and i will give you the number so you can set up an appointment with my shop. i hve alot of dsms around here and the all go to 52!!! and they do litterally everything except tuning which they have someone to do that but i wood do it myself if i was you

Hey Cherrymane, I dont think I can PM people as I am still a provisional member. Could you please send me a PM? Thank you.

Take it to a reputable shop and have them look it over and as stated do a compression test. Just like with any car you never know what can go wrong but with a dsm the owners tend to beat them up a little more then others. I would buy a cheap car to have as security then buy something to have fun in but thats just my opinion.

Take it to a reputable shop and have them look it over and as stated do a compression test. Just like with any car you never know what can go wrong but with a dsm the owners tend to beat them up a little more then others. I would buy a cheap car to have as security then buy something to have fun in but thats just my opinion.

That would be great but I dont really have the money for 2 cars, and are far as cars go 4k would be considered on the cheaper side.

All of the responses are right. Being a gst you might not have to deal with transfer case problems, but awd is the way to go. You are very knowledgeable in cars just for asking people who own them (using this site). I love my DSM, but I have paid for my loyalty. Money pits are a good association with these cars. I love dsm's but as a first car it might be too much to handle, even new as it is, compared to other dsm's that are getting old. if you buy it which I think you might on the posts have indicated, find someone that you trust because your going to be good friends. I don't want to be a downer but they are great cars when in proper condition. Make sure to check the body and engine so if all else fails you can get money for parts or sell it as a whole, because there will always be builds for these cars due to the performance availability. Good clean 1g are getting scarce and now 2g's are becoming scarce. Please update us because I am curious what you will do. This forum is the best for learning and the people will help you as they have helped myself and happy to share our experiences with you.

Id say have the guy compression test and just drive it around the block listen for noises, leaks, anything out of the ordinary and just try to bargain the price that way you have a little saved after that way you can use it for other things. As a lot of guys/girls will tell you here that making sure everything is up to date i.e fluids, belts etc is priority but it would be a lie if we told you we never had to repair anything. The 3rd day I took my talon out the trans went out because of neglect by previous owner so just be careful when purchasing modified cars.

But to me it looks clean but pictures are very deceiving. When are you going to look at the car?

Id say have the guy compression test and just drive it around the block listen for noises, leaks, anything out of the ordinary and just try to bargain the price that way you have a little saved after that way you can use it for other things. As a lot of guys/girls will tell you here that making sure everything is up to date i.e fluids, belts etc is priority but it would be a lie if we told you we never had to repair anything. The 3rd day I took my talon out the trans went out because of neglect by previous owner so just be careful when purchasing modified cars.

But to me it looks clean but pictures are very deceiving. When are you going to look at the car?

I was hoping to look at it tomorrow, but the seller hasnt replied to my text so It looks like Sunday or Monday. So far I plan on trying to get the car for 3800-4000,
and I think I can seeing as how the 16g isn't an MHI. I can pay around $200 to have the car inspected, and will have around 700-800 hundred afterwards in the event that something unfortunate happens. Seller said that belts have been replaced, and I plan on replacing all fluids and hoses after I make the deal.

ANY first car is a money pit in my honest opinion. I am also fairly young but i have been around cars all of my life. Don't let the fact that it is pre modified scare you off. Although i agree you should be careful and definitely have it checked by a pro!

Plus dsms are plentiful in the junkyard ;) maybe not 4g63s but hey sometimes you get lucky. So that being said, dsms are less of a money pit because parts for them are readily available and plenty.
But still a moneypit regardless......

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back